Home » Audio » Source » First Turntable
First Turntable [message #13422] Fri, 06 July 2007 01:36 Go to next message
Ian is currently offline  Ian
Esquire
Hi guys, this is my first post. I want to get into listening to vinyl, and I don't have any records or a turntable. What are your suggestions on purchasing my first turntable, and what else will I need with the turntable in order to star listening to music? I know I'll need speakers, but is there anything else required, or are speakers and a turntable then records all that I need? What is a good site to learn about turntables etc? Thanks a lot, Ian

Re: First Turntable [message #13423 is a reply to message #13422] Sat, 07 July 2007 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>Hi guys, this is my first post. I want to get into listening to vinyl, and I don't have any records or a turntable. What are your suggestions on purchasing my first turntable, and what else will I need with the turntable in order to star listening to music? I know I'll need speakers, but is there anything else required, or are speakers and a turntable then records all that I need? What is a good site to learn about turntables etc? Thanks a lot, Ian
Re: First Turntable [message #13451 is a reply to message #13423] Mon, 23 July 2007 20:00 Go to previous message
lighty is currently offline  lighty
Esquire
Hi Ian,
I agree with Dave, a Preamp and amplifier set-up is necessary. Many
Vintage Stereo systems from 1970s to early 1980s had premplifiers for phono built in.

There are three basic ways to go:

1.) Stereo Receiver - Amplifier,Preamplifier, and AM/FM Radio Tuner built into one unit.
Many receivers from late 60s to early 80s typically had phono connections where the built-in phono preamplifier would handle the necessary equalization and amplification of the signal coming from the turntable.

2.) Integrated Amplifier: Integrated Amplifiers, much like Receivers had the preamplifier section and amplifier section built together into one unit. The typical difference between the two is that Integrated Amplifiers would not have the Radio Tuner section.

3.) Separates: Separate Preamplifier, Amplifier, and Tuner. These units each have their own housings. If separates are used, Stereo cable connections must be made between the units. Usually RCA type cables are necassary. (output from one unit goes to input of the next for proper connection) This is one main reason why Stereo Receivers were so popular in the 70s because of the convenience and less space requirements (also less cable connections)
Hi-fi purists typically would go Separates route - more involvement with equipment, and often superior sound quality.

Previous Topic: Anti-skate weight replacement for Yamaha YP-701
Next Topic: Vinyl revival
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 17:39:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout