Home » Audio » Source » BSR turntable
BSR turntable [message #13407] Thu, 07 June 2007 14:40 Go to next message
Gene is currently offline  Gene
Esquire
I recently acquired an 80" Cordon Blue Solid State stereo console with eight speakers, which I wanted because of the 4 speed BSR turntable to play vinyls and many 78 rpm albums I have. The "flip" needle seemed alright, but the cartridge looked bad, so I bought an Audio-Technica universal cartridge. Of course I can't play 78s with it, but even playing vinyls, or 45s, the sound is so faint that I have to turn it to full volume. Do I have the wrong type of cartridge, i.e., magnetic vs. ceramic?

Re: BSR turntable [message #13408 is a reply to message #13407] Fri, 08 June 2007 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
you have a magnetic cart that delivers much smaller signal than a ceramic.

Re: BSR turntable [message #13409 is a reply to message #13407] Sat, 09 June 2007 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Audio-Technica is a magnetic cartridge with a very low but high quality output. The cartridge that the console came with is a ceramic, which has a high output lesser quality signal. To play the Audio Technica properly, you'll need a phono preamp between the cartridge and amp/receiver in the console. There some very inexpensive ones available. They go regularly on ePay for around $20. Also, the AT cartridge probably tracks lighter than the ceramic one, so the tonearm would need to be re-adjusted.

Dave

Re: BSR turntable [message #13415 is a reply to message #13408] Thu, 28 June 2007 12:17 Go to previous message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
I always thought you should have a ceramic, it worsk alot better from experience.

Previous Topic: new here: just bought a Technics SL-220
Next Topic: Turntable playing really quiet
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 14:42:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout