Home » Audio » Source » Recording From Turntable To Computer
Recording From Turntable To Computer [message #13370] Sat, 28 April 2007 07:43 Go to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
I've done very little recording from my turntable to computer, but I have an Omni I/O audio interface which I plugged directly into.

I assume I'd have better results with some pre-amp between the two?

Re: Recording From Turntable To Computer [message #13371 is a reply to message #13370] Sun, 29 April 2007 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
That may be possible, you might find that putting the two together gives you more than just having one. I tried that about a year ago and I was very satisfied with the results. But everyone is different.

Re: Recording From Turntable To Computer [message #13373 is a reply to message #13371] Mon, 30 April 2007 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
britjojo is currently offline  britjojo
Chancellor
I do not believe that this should be necessary. In theory your PC should be able to amplify itself, but you may find that the software that you have is lacking. If you get the right program it will take care of volume leveling, clean up of crackles and so on.

Re: Recording From Turntable To Computer [message #13375 is a reply to message #13373] Sun, 06 May 2007 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dvautier is currently offline  dvautier
Esquire
You have to consider the type of cartridge on your TT. If it is magnetic it will not produce enough signal for the standard computer sound card. I run a mag cart with small wires and very short leads into my preamp and then get a signal strong enough for the sound card. On 78 records I have a different setup. I can run a ceramic directly into the sound card.

You can see:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/audio/audio.htm

and maybe:

http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

Re: Recording From Turntable To Computer [message #13376 is a reply to message #13375] Mon, 07 May 2007 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ricardo is currently offline  Ricardo
Viscount
Thanks for the information. I was using an M Audio Omni I/0 with Cubase SX as the recording software. I think I should have had a different cartridge.

Re: Recording From Turntable To Computer [message #13377 is a reply to message #13375] Tue, 08 May 2007 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
britjojo is currently offline  britjojo
Chancellor
That's an interesting thought, I hadn't considered the differences in cartridges. Is the problem with signal lose for the connection to the PC? Surely if there is output, any output at all, a good PC set up could pick it up IF you could prevent signal lose between output and PC input.

Re: Recording From Turntable To Computer [message #13379 is a reply to message #13376] Tue, 08 May 2007 14:23 Go to previous message
randle is currently offline  randle
Master
Why would you have to have a different cartridge. Why can't you use that one?

Previous Topic: Question about Transferring Old Cassettes
Next Topic: Earth Wire
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 08:13:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout