Home » Audio » Source » Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project
Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13298] Tue, 06 March 2007 08:04 Go to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've been working on a turntable project for a couple of months now. It's a late 50's Rek-O-Kut that I acquired that was still new in-the-box. I'm building a massive plinth for it and eventually will be installing an Infinity Black Widow tone arm. I had a new idler wheel made from a local machinist and am using an O- ring for rubber. The ROK turntable has an incredible platter bearing with the well made of cast iron instead of the usual bronze. The spindle shaft has a groove in it that continuously pulls oil up from the bottom to let it fall back from the top of the well, so there is always a coating of oil on everything in the bearing assembly. The massive plinth is to damp/absorb any noise the idler drive may exhibit. Here's a link to some photos I have of the project:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/the_hurdy_gurdyman/album/576460762387548586

I have an old AR-XA arm I'm using for awhile until my Black Widow arrives, which may be a few weeks yet. There is an old Shure M91E cartridge installed.

Why idler drive? Well, for one thing, I've always had more long-term pleasure out of my old Dual idler drives than out of the various belt and direct drive units I've owned, this in spite of the somewhat more rumble my Duals have (actually more of a bad platter bearing design than and idler wheel problem with the old Duals). Now I'm seeing just how far I can go with idler drive. So far, even with the primitive arm and cart, I'm getting better analog sound than I've ever had.

Here's some links to what got me started on this latest crazy binge:

(click on the link at the bottom of this page to get a PDF file with what may be the longest audio thread of all time)

http://www.lenco-lovers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86

And continued here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?eanlg&1157059532&openflup&115&4#115

That should keep you turntable addicts busy awhile and give you something to think about. I know I'm hooked on idler drive permanently!

Dave

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13299 is a reply to message #13298] Tue, 06 March 2007 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh wow, Dave, that's cool! Off the beaten path and interesting!

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13300 is a reply to message #13298] Tue, 06 March 2007 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Dave, I have two ROK's at home. One in a heavy plinth, one in a light plinth (have not listend too much to that one yet). One thing I found, that you may not have to deal with given the "new" nature of your table, is that the lead out wiring insulation on both motors has broken down badly over the years. By the way, the heavy plinth seems to work well, though you can hear the table from a couple feet away. I've used both an RB250 and a Audio Technica 1005 II on the table with good results. I'd suggest a big hole for the tonearm and then making mounting plates to fit over that to accomodate different arms. Oh, and I found that a "Herbie" mat sure beats the standard ROK heavy rubber mat. Best of luck!

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13301 is a reply to message #13300] Tue, 06 March 2007 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hey Steve,

The wiring on my motor is just like new, as are the rubber grommets. I have to get my ear about three inches from the table to hear the motor running. I thoroughly oiled the motor with Mobil 1 5W-20 fully synthetic oil. It was dry when I got it. Probably never oiled at all before this. I suspect the rubber O-ring idler wheel I had made is quieter than the harder rubber of the stock wheel. This may contribute to the quietness, as I can't hear any change in sound from engaging the motor and having it run without being engaged. The table actually is a bit quieter than my old AR-XA belt drive. Quite amazing, actually!
If you look close at the pictures on my yahoo photos site, you'll see the round cut-out on the backside of the plinth. This has a removable round mounting plate for just as you suggested. I'm using a thick Denon hard rubber platter mat which does a great job damping the platter.

Dave

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13302 is a reply to message #13299] Tue, 06 March 2007 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have found the whole thread very interesting (at least that that I've managed to find time to read. Haven't quite finished it all yet.) I'm one of those few who have preferred idler drive over belt and direct drive for over 30 years. I always thought I was the lone stranger on this, and maybe a bit crazy. It's good to feel vindicated. The heavy plinth idea is just icing on the cake, adding that last bit to make these old tables quiet enough to compete with everything a belt or direct drive can do, and be superior in many things. I seriously doubt if I'll ever bother with another turntable again, as this one is about perfect. I'll just play with different arms and cartridges.

Dave

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13303 is a reply to message #13301] Tue, 06 March 2007 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Dave, great luck on your part! Anxious to see the finished product. What cartridge are you planning to use?

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13304 is a reply to message #13303] Tue, 06 March 2007 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Steve,

Once I get the Black Widow arm installed, I have an old ADC LXM and a Shure V15-RS. The Shure is the same inside as a type-5. Only the stylus is different, using a less expensive aluminum cantilever instead of boron and a hyper-elliptical stylus instead of a line-contact type. The ADC was the top-of-the-line at that time for ADC. They both need a new stylus, so I have to decide which I'm going to use. They are both high-compliance, so should be a great match for a Black Widow.

Dave

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13305 is a reply to message #13303] Tue, 06 March 2007 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Steve,

Have you tried a Grado on your Rek-O-Kut? I was wondering if hum was a problem.

Dave

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13307 is a reply to message #13304] Wed, 07 March 2007 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Dave, I have a couple of ADX XLM's that I really like and have used on the ROK, great MM cartridge. I'm not familiar w/the LXM, how does it compare to the XLM?

Re: Idler Drive and my Rek-O-Kut project [message #13308 is a reply to message #13307] Wed, 07 March 2007 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>Dave, I have a couple of ADX XLM's that I really like and have used on the ROK, great MM cartridge. I'm not familiar w/the LXM, how does it compare to the XLM?
Previous Topic: Sony TC-650 reel deck brakes
Next Topic: Luxman PD-264
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:22:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout