Home » Audio » Source » Trying to figure out adjustment on an old JVC
Trying to figure out adjustment on an old JVC [message #13244] Mon, 08 January 2007 22:26 Go to next message
Mike T is currently offline  Mike T
Esquire
I can't find the manual, and the website is zero help. This thing has only two adjustments that I can find, one is through a plug just under the back of the arm. I've no idea what it does. The other is two "set" screws on either side of the arm right at the pivot point. My problem is I just got a new Grado premium cartridge and a preamp that's a TCC TC-750LC. I get lots of rumble, and the playback is muddy with lots (too much) bass. I think I'm pretty close to the right weight on the stylus, I have a gauge and I know I'm at least in the ballpark, but the instructions say to set the tracking to zero, and I've no idea how to accomplish that, or how to fine tune the weight. There's no adjustment on the tone arm around the counter weight that I can see. Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to buy a new turntable if I don't have to, as the cartridge is new and a "P" mount which probably won't fit anything else I might get, plus I'm starting to feel like I just keep throwing good money after bad. All I want to do is put all my records into the computer and turn them into MP3 files. It takes too long if I have to edit every cut repeatedly to get all the noise out and try to make it sound half way like it should.

Re: Trying to figure out adjustment on an old JVC [message #13245 is a reply to message #13244] Tue, 09 January 2007 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dvautier is currently offline  dvautier
Esquire
Take the thing apart and study the mechanism. It probably needs a lub job anyway. If you are unable to figure it out in 2 or 3 hours, I would suggest looking for another TT.

Re: Trying to figure out adjustment on an old JVC [message #13246 is a reply to message #13245] Tue, 09 January 2007 21:33 Go to previous message
Mike T is currently offline  Mike T
Esquire
Well, I got it to play a little better, but it's got a huge hum. I tried grounding it, that didn't work. It doesn't do it if I remove the cartridge. Tried another cartridge, same thing. I think I'll try and find something a little better, because it could take forever to find the source of that noise. It's louder on the right channel than the left.

Previous Topic: My turntable is not loud enough
Next Topic: Automatic power broken
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 11:59:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout