Home » Audio » Source » unstable platter
unstable platter [message #13235] Sat, 06 January 2007 08:03 Go to next message
Philippe is currently offline  Philippe
Esquire
Just bought a Technics SL 1210 M5G, after putting the platter on the pin, the platter is not stable.. it has a bit of movement to it. I can play records, but scratching is an issue.. did I assemble it wrong?
The service center here says that all models of this are like that. Are they sending me off without doing anything> is there anything I can do?

Re: unstable platter [message #13241 is a reply to message #13235] Mon, 08 January 2007 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Not many scratchers hang out here. This place is mostly for audiophiles.

That said, I wouldn't expect much play in the platter bearing. It's basically a zero-clearance fit. The tolerance is so tight on a good turntable that there isn't even room for a film of oil. There doesn't need to be any room for heat expansion, and you don't want any chatter. So the clearance in this bearing should be extremely close.

Re: unstable platter [message #13258 is a reply to message #13235] Sun, 28 January 2007 13:08 Go to previous message
Listens2tubes is currently offline  Listens2tubes
Esquire
You may want to email Kevin at http://wwwKABUSA.com, he is very knowledgable with Technics tables.

Previous Topic: quarter inch tape deck question
Next Topic: Clearaudio Aurum Beta S
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 04:44:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout