Home » Audio » Source » Static got ya down, bunkie?
Static got ya down, bunkie? [message #13209] Tue, 12 December 2006 18:47 Go to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Me too!

Tonight, when I brushed th record the 'pop' was more than annoying. Downright dangerous.

So I got out some patch cords and grounded the base of the arm where it meets the top plate of the table to the chassis of the phono pre-amp (the cartridge, was of course, already grounded to the phono stage ground).

Away went the static, all of it and, as a bonus, the tiny bit of hum from the speakers was cut about 50%.

Now that's a tweak!

Just received,cleaned and cued-up the Colin Davis Berlioz Requiem. Oh my! Is it sacriligious, or politically incorrect in this day of 'holiday' parties and Christmas tree bans to say that I don't worship Jesus but I thank G-d for him and the music he inspired.

Humidifier [message #13210 is a reply to message #13209] Wed, 13 December 2006 09:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, I think the very best way to calm static is a pretty low-tech method. Use a humidifier in the room. Not only will it reduce static, it will help your skin and lungs as well through cold, dry winter days. A lot of audiophiles get serious about power conditioners, sometimes also about room acoustic treatments. But air quality is sometimes overlooked. Computer folks have long known that regulated air temperature and humidity is key for getting the best performance (and reliability) from electronics. It's a good thing to do.

Previous Topic: Another vinyl score in the works.....
Next Topic: Hubba-hubba! I finally found it!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 01:52:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio