Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speakers in Home Theater/Stereo Listening Room Upgrade (Looking for guidance!)
Pi Speakers in Home Theater/Stereo Listening Room Upgrade [message #97568] Wed, 27 March 2024 20:11 Go to next message
Aaron E is currently offline  Aaron E
Esquire
Hi everyone,
I am in the beginning stages of the audiophile illness. I am looking for some input from you all here on the forum!

I have a home theater set up in a dedicated room that is 20x18ish. Currently, my system is a Klipsch Reference Premier based 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. The front L/R speakers are RP8000F, center is RP-504C, surrounds RP-600M, in-ceiling CDT-5800-C II, and subs are SPL-120. I'm using a Denon 4700h AVR paired with an Emotiva BasX power amp powering the front 3 speakers. I have everything placed within dolby's specifications for a 7.2.4 system, and have the room pretty well treated with acoustic panels and bass traps. I have been happy with the set up until I really started trying to enjoy stereo music playback. After getting a little more education and visiting my nearest Klipsch heritage dealer, I'm definitely getting the bug to upgrade! I know I'm leaving a ton on the table for music playback, and also a good bit of improvement for the HT deal as well.

I was originally thinking I would keep an eye out for a good deal on Fortes or Cornwalls for the front L/R speakers as a first step, with perhaps a Heresy or the Klipsch RC-34 III for the center channel. I've been browsing various forums and posts to get some ideas and came across a mention of Pi speakers which is what brought me here. I'm surprised that there seems to be such high performing speakers at a much cheaper cost than the Klispch heritage models.

Based on what I've described, looking for input on Pi models and configurations that would fill my near term goal of better stereo listening. As I noted, I really liked the sound of the Fortes and Cornwalls. I'm thinking I would upgrade the L/R fronts first, and the center channel as well so it matches up well for HT use. I have room to play with placement for the fronts, right now they are at about 20" from the front wall with a listening position about 12' from the front wall. I'm also open to subwoofer suggestions if you think I could greatly improve on 2.1 or 2.2 playback. Also curious to see if you think the Denon/BasX combo would remotely do them justice, or if I should consider upgrading the AVR or adding a separate amp setup sooner than later.

I know there is a lot to unpack here, but I'm a bit overwhelmed at the amount of info on the forum. I am not a DIYer btw, would be buying these ready to go.

Thanks for any guidance!

Aaron
Re: Pi Speakers in Home Theater/Stereo Listening Room Upgrade [message #97570 is a reply to message #97568] Thu, 28 March 2024 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compaddict is currently offline  compaddict
Viscount
I like your idea!
Welcome to the the rabbit hole.
Re: Pi Speakers in Home Theater/Stereo Listening Room Upgrade [message #97571 is a reply to message #97570] Thu, 28 March 2024 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

My suggestion would be to use three Pi or four Pi mains with flanking subs. Do some searches here to see what that setup entails. It's a pretty popular configuration.

Also, while we do offer complete loudspeakers, it's sometimes worthwhile to find a cabinet shop in your area to build your speakers for you. We offer flat-pack kits to make it easier and faster for your local shop.
Re: Pi Speakers in Home Theater/Stereo Listening Room Upgrade [message #97614 is a reply to message #97571] Tue, 09 April 2024 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aaron E is currently offline  Aaron E
Esquire
Thanks Wayne. You have a lot of good information available...but it is a lot to absorb. I'll try my best to educate myself on all of this to make an informed decision.

Would you be willing to share the build specs/instructions for the 4Pi speakers? I have a good friend that has a background in millworking, so I wonder if this would be up his alley.
Re: Pi Speakers in Home Theater/Stereo Listening Room Upgrade [message #97616 is a reply to message #97614] Tue, 09 April 2024 16:17 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!
Previous Topic: 4 pI Speaker
Next Topic: OnePi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:58:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio