Home » Audio » Source » Thorens TD-150 hum
Re: Ground or bad connection [message #13199 is a reply to message #13198] Fri, 08 December 2006 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Agee is currently offline  Bill Agee
Chancellor
It sounds like there is a ground for the chassis and a shield for cart leads, and these two are not connected together is that right? Or maybe they are connected together at the preamp ground screw?

I guess what I'm getting at is that one of these ground/shields is a problem. It may be that the cart lead shield is bad or the chassis ground is bad or they are connected together when they shouldn't be, or they need to be connected together. It could also be that the lugs are not making good contact where they are screwed in.

This all just a guess on my part, but hopefully it will give you some idea of what needs to be looked at. Just try different things with the grounding/shielding to see what the results are.

Bill

Re: Ground or bad connection [message #13202 is a reply to message #13199] Sat, 09 December 2006 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoeihell is currently offline  shoeihell
Esquire
Thanks Bill....I'll try some of the ground suggestions. I was going by the various drawings that Thorens provided in their manual. If however everyone thinks it has to be the grounds, I'll go from there.

Re: Ground or bad connection [message #13203 is a reply to message #13202] Sat, 09 December 2006 09:00 Go to previous message
Bill Agee is currently offline  Bill Agee
Chancellor
I happen to have a Thorens 150 AB (not the Mark II model) that I have not used since I aquired it. However, I am preparing to rebuild it so I will take a look at how the shielding and ground is done. If I find any additional information, I'll let you know.

Bill

Previous Topic: Turntable is Skipping w/ White Noise
Next Topic: Is the sound quality of digital really as good as analoge?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 03:05:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio