Home » xyzzy » Tower » Happy New Year
Happy New Year [message #97292] Fri, 29 December 2023 20:50 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I find it enlightening at this time of year to reflect on days gone by. My thoughts went to "where was I 15 years ago?" What was I doing and where am I now? At that time, I was working for a modest sized company as a senior manager. We were in the logistics field and did everything from fueling aircraft to providing food for a large installation. Shortly thereafter I became the General Manager of said company and had the joys of riding herd on about 140 employees. I quit a year later as my goal of long-term financial security was achieved. Since then, my time has been my own. Also, in 2008 I designed the first successful Oddwatt power amplifier. This was a direct consequence of my building a S5 K12 amp in 2006. I found it pleasantly different from the solid-state stuff I had (really good gear BTW) but lacking. I thought it might be fun to do my own thing. I figured that with about 40 years of tinkering with various TVs, PCs and amateur radio devices if ought to be fairly easy. It was not quite as easy as I thought it might be. It took several tries but the prototypes finally were (IMO) better than the K12. From those modest beginnings evolved the entire spectrum of diy projects and commercial products I have created. It was fortunate that I encountered a partner (Rodney) that was good at CAD and had connections with fabricators and component sources. He made the commercial side possible. After the first Oddblocks, I was unsure I could design a good preamp, let alone a tube-based phonograph preamp. It took a while and is still an ongoing passion of mine, but I believe the current versions of either rival equipment with high pedigrees. The same goes for the solid-state devices I have created. All this time I have made it my goal to mentor as many new commers to the arena of diy electronics as possible. I will admit some have been rather challenging. It is rewarding to have some of them already assisting other new commers. They, and not the various pieces of gear, I perceive as my legacy. And no, I don't intend to quit now as there is a whole field of additional devices I want to try my hand at. Hopefully you can look back and find similar good things. I believe that folks involved with diy and especially audio are some of the best folks I know of. It may have been a challenging past few years, but the future awaits and will be as great as we want to make it. Have a great new year.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Happy New Year [message #97293 is a reply to message #97292] Sat, 30 December 2023 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
A hap-hap-happy New Years to everyone here. A great friendly hangout to be. I admire what Bruce and Wayne, who've really made a contribution with their knowledge to the pursuit of fine listening, given non-commercially and freely available to anyone who wants to take a notion on their own to craft themselves. And the other DIY'r people here that show their handiwork. It's high quality.
Re: Happy New Year [message #97294 is a reply to message #97293] Sat, 30 December 2023 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Cool reflections, guys! I'm always sentimental like that. I like old cars, old computers and life-long old friends.

Like you guys! Like "friends" that is, not like "old." Laughing

Happy New Years!

https://audioroundtable.com/images/CastleFireworks.gif
Re: Happy New Year [message #97355 is a reply to message #97292] Wed, 17 January 2024 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
It sounds like you have lived an interesting and full life, gofar99. Good for you. Its awesome to find someone who is so passionate about their loves.

2023 flew by! I'm hoping to slow down a bit, because it feels like life is passing me by. Maybe its just a product of getting older, though.
Re: Happy New Year [message #97373 is a reply to message #97292] Mon, 22 January 2024 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
Happy 2024, everyone. Agree that time's whizzing by too quickly. I'm at the stage where random memories are popping up often, as if my brain is saying, "Remember this? I'm playing it now before you forget about it for good!"
Re: Happy New Year [message #97376 is a reply to message #97292] Mon, 22 January 2024 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
My wish for 2024. More members posting, more participation, get involved on AudioRoundTable. We are the knights of AudioRoundTable. gofar99 is King Arthur. Wayne Parham is Sir Lancelot. AudioRoundTable is a place called Camelot. Our mission is to do good in the audio world.

Re: Happy New Year [message #97377 is a reply to message #97376] Mon, 22 January 2024 15:55 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Now I'm picturing that scene where the guy was making horse sounds with coconuts...

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3397&private=0

Previous Topic: Would you pay to keep this woman in your house?
Next Topic: web browse on your 2001 smartwatch -- reverse eng
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:56:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout