Home » Audio » Source » Plate Material II
Plate Material II [message #13179] Mon, 27 November 2006 14:53 Go to next message
Aorsearcher is currently offline  Aorsearcher
Esquire
Im talking about the plate where records stay,its better in acrilic or glass?(sory my english)

Re: Plate Material II [message #13180 is a reply to message #13179] Tue, 28 November 2006 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I believe you mean the "platter". The platter is what the record sits on while being played. You will probably get several opinions as to why one material is better than another. In my opinion I would stay away from glass and go with acrylic. The thicker the better within reason.

Hope that helps.

Re: Plate Material II [message #13181 is a reply to message #13179] Wed, 29 November 2006 18:51 Go to previous message
Bill Agee is currently offline  Bill Agee
Chancellor
From what I have read, acrylic is the better choice because it closely matches the mechanical impedance of the record vinyl. That is why it is used. It doesn't hurt that it looks cool, too.

I would think that glass would have a very definite resonance associated with it. I would further speculate that if glass were the better choice, it would be in use today by the cost-no-object manufacturers.

Bill

Previous Topic: Any opinions on the Oppo DV-970HD?
Next Topic: Crown Tape recorders info?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 06 03:24:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout