Home » xyzzy » Tower » Not sure I like automation
Not sure I like automation [message #96993] Fri, 15 September 2023 21:51
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi everyone, I was using a vintage Sound Blaster external box to digitize LPs. I fed it via a Moon LP3. Yes I know, I have lots of tube gear and it is really musical. But the LP3 is extremely quiet and accurate. At -105 S/N and under 0.01% distortion it is better for this task than my usual gear. Anyhow, my PC (a I7,16G, with 2 SSDs) and the latest incarnation of WIN10 Pro were not coexisting happily with the SB. So I got a new SB X4. Almost no instructions except where to plug stuff in and none for download either. I did download the SB App for it (now programs are being called apps for PCs...eek). It set the bit rate for play and record etc but nothing else. There was no software for recording or playing. There is for blue tooth and wireless though. Right, just what I need to tie my phone to my stereo. I already have blue tooth from my tablet and laptop. Anyhow back to the automation. It apparently is a somewhat intelligent device as the instant I tried to play an existing track already in the PC it worked. If I changed the connection to phones they too worked. OK, unknown exactly how it knew or what it used. Then to record, I used a vintage version of Nero Wave Studio. It worked perfectly. Surprise. In the past it usually required a bit of coaxing to get to do what I wanted. So now I have a device that appears to read my mind on what I want to do and somehow does it. At the same time I am not sure if it also directly communicates to mother Microsoft or ETs in the process. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: The Holidays
Next Topic: Bluetooth Ugh
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:14:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers