Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl setup - opinions please
Vinyl setup - opinions please [message #13152] Wed, 15 November 2006 22:25 Go to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Ok, Here's what I'm thinking:

Table ($300): http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=MHGR1%2E2&product_name=Goldring%20GR-1%2E2%20Turntable

Phono pre ($350): http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Tube-Box-II?sc=2&category=401
or
Alt. phono pre ($250): http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-VP129-Tube-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=401

Record cleaning machine ($230): http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=NGRD3&product_name=Record%20Doctor%20Model%20III%20Record%20Cleaning%20Machine

Cables (about $100): Zu or Blue Jean

Trying to keep it under a grand. Can I do better w/o buying used?.....C

Re: Vinyl setup - opinions please [message #13153 is a reply to message #13152] Thu, 16 November 2006 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Haven't heard those fono pre's but Martinelli likes the Bellari.

The ZU cables I heard at Speakermans, and had home for awhile are tilted up in the upper mids. Didn't like'm. Blue Jeans are more neutral but on the shielding you have to choose between RF or EM rejection. Since I wired the 45 amp with silver I'm now a fan. And it's very important to have good shielding on fono cable. Parts Connexion has Connex (DH Labs) silver fono cable ( a Steve Brown reccommendation) with double shielding for $10 a foot.

Save 200 bucks on record cleaning. Get a Shop-Vac 1X1 at Wally mart for 20 bucks and a broken turntable at Goodwill for $5. A quart of RRL will cost $25 and an Audioquest record brush clone from garage-a records for $10. You'll need poly sleeves from Sleeve City, $11/100.
Plug the opening of 1X1 crevice tool and cut a slot in the long side with your table saw. Contact glue paint pad refill on either side of the slot and you have a cleaning wand. That's what I use.

Bill - closeup pic of the wand please [message #13155 is a reply to message #13153] Fri, 17 November 2006 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bill, now that I've got my Seduction working I need some way to clean the few dozen albums I have. What's your method/technique for using your "contraption"?

Re: Bill - closeup pic of the wand please [message #13157 is a reply to message #13155] Sat, 18 November 2006 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

As I mentioed, just plug the end with rope caulk or whatever after you cut a longitudinal slot on the flat of the wand and glue the paint pad refills on either side.

I wet the brush on the first cleaning with the REcord REsearch Labs Super Vinyl. Once it's wet, you don't have to do that again on subsequent records.

I put about 3 dime size drops of fluid on, hold the brush to the record and spin it a few times to distribute the fluid. Then I "scrub" back and forth as I continue to turn the record.

The Audioquest brush tends to flatten as it gets wet so the bristles need to be dressed by wiping them on a dry towel to get them to return to their original shape.

Then vacuum about 3 revolutions and place the record in a dish rack to thoroughly dry.

Works great and costs peanuts. I've cleaned over a hundred records and used less than 1/2 the bottle. Sometimes I repeat the process for really nasty ones from Goodwill.

Lately, I've begun to notice fingerprints in the cleaned surface of some, evidence of what skin oils and acids do. I'm about to order either RRL Deep Cleaner or perhaps the Bugtussel stuff to see if that removes more grundge as a pre-cleaner.

Works great. Very little gunk comes off the needle onto the Magic Eraser after a cleaning. The records are far quieter and 'sound better'.

I've had the chance to observe the VPI 16.5 in action and the DIY method works just as well. Probably better 'cause, unless you spend $$$thousands, the RCM's have wimpy vacuum motors.

Goldring table [message #13159 is a reply to message #13157] Sun, 19 November 2006 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love the looks of that Goldring turntable and can't believe the price. I'd like to hear more about it, so Colin, if you get it, report back. My personal experience with Rega gear has been good, but I'll have to admit that I still like the Technics SL-1200 direct drive tables for the same under $1K price range. I used one of thoe for years, loved it. I like the VPI tables too.

Re: Goldring table [message #13160 is a reply to message #13159] Sun, 19 November 2006 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I, too, really like the looks of the Goldring, and I'm leaning heavily towards the 1.2 series. I'm going to wait a few days and see how an eBay auction for a Thorens TT ends. There's a very nice one offered locally and he's willing to do local pick up (and knock a few bucks off, since he won't need to pack.)......C

Re: The Technics 1200 seems a good idea [message #13161 is a reply to message #13160] Sun, 19 November 2006 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'd give a serious look to these KAB units that get good words on that other forum.

Re: Vinyl setup - opinions please [message #13167 is a reply to message #13152] Tue, 21 November 2006 13:16 Go to previous message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
Hey, Collin, while you're deciding, I'm happy to loan you a table or two and a Hagerman phono stage. I just sold a really nice older AR XA, but have a Rek-o-Kut w/RB250 if you'd like to see what the idler wheel thing is all about. I also have a nice Thorens TD160 w/ADC cartridge mounted that you could borrow. Let me know.

Previous Topic: Technics SL-B3 Turntable --Need Counterweight
Next Topic: which turntable to buy?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 05 23:18:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout