Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Four Pi Build - recessed drivers
Four Pi Build - recessed drivers [message #96667] Wed, 03 May 2023 22:24 Go to next message
arbakken is currently offline  arbakken
Esquire
I've started the build of my four pi speakers out of baltic birch. I grew up with access to a full woodshop, but I don't have room for such things so a circular saw and a Kreg Accu-cut will have to do! I will be veneering them (probably walnut) so if my cuts are off by a hair it's okay (or so I tell myself)

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3322&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3323&private=0
I have a pair of used (new?) JBL 2226HPL, and the DE250 compression drivers are on their way. UPS says that my waveguides and crossovers are showing up tomorrow, so things are coming together. I have them all glued up except the backs, with a few 18 ga nails to help hold stuff together. I just trimmed all the edges and sanded them up a bit. All the internal bracing was done by laying the pattern out with a pencil/straight edge, drilling holes in the corners, cutting with a jig saw, and routing the edges. The woofer baffle is double thick, and I added 1/2" to the depth of the box to compensate. I modeled the entire box up in Solidworks (Wayne, if you want my drawings you can have them). The way I laid it out there is very little scrap on two 5'x5' sheets of baltic birch.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3324&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3325&private=0
I'm planning on recessing my drivers and think I have a plan to make that happen. I haven't seen a real clear guide to recessing the waveguides so I thought I'd make one, assuming it works.

Do I need to recess them the same amount so the acoustic center doesn't change?
  • Attachment: IMG_0058.jpg
    (Size: 4.43MB, Downloaded 375 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_0158.jpg
    (Size: 4.21MB, Downloaded 334 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_0208.jpg
    (Size: 3.42MB, Downloaded 359 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_0209.jpg
    (Size: 3.28MB, Downloaded 376 times)
Re: Four Pi Build - recessed drivers [message #96668 is a reply to message #96667] Wed, 03 May 2023 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compaddict is currently offline  compaddict
Viscount
Nice work!
Re: Four Pi Build - recessed drivers [message #96669 is a reply to message #96668] Thu, 04 May 2023 09:57 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lookin' great!

As for keeping the recess thickness the same, you have a pretty good amount of wiggle room there so you can set them as you like for aesthetics.

The go into a little more detail, remember that your forward lobe is 90° x 40°. The vertical nulls are just outside that, above and below. If you move the woofer or the tweeter forward or backwards with respect to one another, you are essentially adjusting the "tilt" slightly. Fractions of an inch create very slight angular offsets. Not enough to matter.
Previous Topic: Am I in the Right Place?
Next Topic: 6 pi plan request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:14:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout