Home » Audio » Speaker » Download the app, of course
Download the app, of course [message #96638] Fri, 21 April 2023 21:06 Go to next message
dervlin is currently offline  dervlin
Chancellor
Do most speakers come with this requirement now? Sometimes settings are rather troublesome to change, if not downright impossible, without going through the app. My phone is convenient to use, but I'd like to listen to music without cluttering up my iPhone with apps that are specific to each brand or each speaker.
Re: Download the app, of course [message #96641 is a reply to message #96638] Sat, 22 April 2023 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Curious. Then too none of mine (Vintage Altec Lansing, Vintage Klipsch and Contemporary Martin Logan ESLs) need anything. They were all made to work right out of the box. My main system doesn't even have any sort of tone controls either. IMO (YMMV) I figure the gear ought to sound correctly without alteration of any sort. I will however grant that occasionally some sort of adjustment may be needed to compensate for poor room acoustics.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Download the app, of course [message #96644 is a reply to message #96638] Tue, 25 April 2023 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dervlin is currently offline  dervlin
Chancellor
I just bought one from the Sonos brand and it's a requirement. It's not the end of the world, but it's a real hassle.

I like the look of the ElectroMotion ESL speaker. I'll have to keep it on mind in the future.
Re: Download the app, of course [message #96645 is a reply to message #96644] Tue, 25 April 2023 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, the ESLs are different from conventional speakers as they present more of a unified sound stage and less of a point source type of sound. They do both direct and reflected sound and are a bit tricky to set up and honestly will not work well in all rooms. But if you can get them dialed in (use the Cardas settings and not the Martin Logan ones for best results ...go figure), the effect is stunning. ESLs are really "fast" and accurate. Equally unforgiving if the rest of the system is not up to par. I have several other speakers including vintage Altec Lansing Magnificents (7.5 cuft each) which are quite excellent...but the ESLs are always my go to ones. If you ever get serious about some, be sure to listen to some set up correctly and be ready to hand out a bunch of dollars. A large listening room is a must. (at least 12 by 15 and 9 high in feet, more is better)

EDIT: Sorry folks I didn't mean to steal the thread, but it seemed a response was in order.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Download the app, of course [message #96646 is a reply to message #96645] Wed, 26 April 2023 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Personally, I don't find it sacrilege to help out recorded music. I mainly listen to vinyl music and I use the Aphex aural exciter in conjunction with it. Even with using Pi speakers with their high sensitivity and dynamics. Using it just brings more life into the recorded mediums deficiencies. It's not the Pi speakers deficiencies by any means. I learned about it from the KAB website years back. There's still a web page for it. No longer available. I don't know if Aphex stopped making them.
https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/aphex104.htm
Re: Download the app, of course [message #96665 is a reply to message #96638] Wed, 03 May 2023 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beck is currently offline  Beck
Viscount
Although tedious, it seems like most gadgets are now partnered with an app. I've encountered that with a smartwatch, but I didn't think even speakers would have an app. I guess, connecting with Bluetooth is not enough.
Re: Download the app, of course [message #96933 is a reply to message #96638] Sun, 20 August 2023 15:20 Go to previous message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
This is why people should buy second hand and test the product first.

I just don't think it's necessary at all. In fact, I know it's not because it was never before and everything worked fine.

I know I sound like an old curmudgeon, but I think the only reason it's a requirement on some brands is so someone else can make money off of it.
Previous Topic: 16 year old 2 Pi Speakers - Now getting static on newer amps
Next Topic: Eminence Speaker has been sold
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:16:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout