Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2023 4pi build (Let's make some sawdust!)
2023 4pi build [message #96480] Mon, 06 March 2023 17:50 Go to next message
00schteven is currently offline  00schteven
Esquire
Hello,

I am in the process of building a set of 4pi speakers. I bought a pair of JBL 4530 scoops loaded with 2226H woofers off of Marketplace. They could be in better condition, but should be well broken in. I found new B&C de250s and some other things like grill cloth from Q-components. The crossover parts I found from Solen. Except the 100w 8ohm resistor, I had to order that from Parts Express. I ordered the wave guides from Wayne. Shipping and the broker fees were expensive to Canada.

I have been making slow but steady progress. The crossovers are assembled and soldered. I ran out of black zip ties and had to use white ones for the second crossover, my OCD might take over and I will probably change the first crossover to match. The cabinets are mostly put together. My little router did not have fun cutting out the 1½" baffle, it definitely payed for itself so far on this project. I need to make the port tubes and cut some braces. Seal the boxes. Figure out grills. Pick out some venner, and get them completed.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3305&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3306&private=0
Re: 2023 4pi build [message #96482 is a reply to message #96480] Mon, 06 March 2023 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks great so far! https://audioroundtable.com/images/thumbs-up.gif
Re: 2023 4pi build [message #96483 is a reply to message #96480] Tue, 07 March 2023 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grindstone is currently offline  grindstone
Baron
Nice first post Smile
Re: 2023 4pi build [message #96484 is a reply to message #96483] Tue, 07 March 2023 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron
Great looking build. Is that some kind of prototyping board you used for the crossovers? Certainly nicer than the 1/8" luan ply I usually use Smile .
Re: 2023 4pi build [message #96485 is a reply to message #96484] Wed, 08 March 2023 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Very nice job. Keep the pics coming. That's a new one, seeing a tv in a garage. Do you do the wood butchering elsewhere? Or just dust off the tv.
Re: 2023 4pi build [message #96568 is a reply to message #96480] Sun, 26 March 2023 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blvdre is currently offline  blvdre
Baron
You may want to modify your inductor layout. This pic is a decent rule of thumb:

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3314&private=0

Re: 2023 4pi build [message #96571 is a reply to message #96568] Mon, 27 March 2023 11:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I suggest measurements to examine the circuit.

Look for two things:

1. Overall response curve
2. Low-frequency content presented to the tweeter

As an academic study, you can measure the inductance of two coils placed in various positions and you can measure the amount of mutual inductance from the coils and signal coupling as a transformer effect.

But if you just want to see how your crossover layout effects the performance of your loudspeaker, focus on the two things I described above. We just want to know the basic transfer functions of the filters, and the things we're most concerned with are making sure the tweeter doesn't get too much low-frequency energy and that the overall response curve is right.

I say this because I had similar worries when laying out my crossover board. I could put the coils at opposite ends of the board, but then the traces were longer and not as organized. Or I could layout the physical circuit similarly to the schematic, making a clean and organized board but putting the coils closer together.

So I used measurements to drive my decision, and I tried various combinations of positions and orientations that kept the transfer functions right.
Previous Topic: Pi3 vs Pi4
Next Topic: Am I in the Right Place?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:27:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout