Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 8Pi Midhorn fabrication
8Pi Midhorn fabrication [message #96406] Mon, 20 February 2023 07:34 Go to next message
Ybolg is currently offline  Ybolg
Chancellor
Despite being in the middle of building pair of 2pi floorstanders, I've got my sights set on a pair of 8pi corners.

It looks like the key to these speakers is fabricating the midhorn. First, from what I can tell the "midhorn flatpack kit" that Wayne offers looks to be fore the 6 and 7pis, not the 8.

I was wondering if there is anybody who has made 8pis has any advice on these midhorns? So far I'm thinking I need to do some CAD modeling just to get my bevel angles right.

Wayne forgive me if I'm making too much public, but the basic shape of the midhorn is a pyramid that tapers from a 4.5" square out to a 12x24" rectangle over a height of I believe about 10.5".
Re: 8Pi Midhorn fabrication [message #96407 is a reply to message #96406] Mon, 20 February 2023 17:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The midhorn flat-pack kit can be used on the six π, seven π or eight π speakers.

If you want to fabricate your own, I suggest cutting out cardboard parts and fitting them together first. You can even cut several pieces of cardboard for each panel to thicken it up to match the thickness of wood panels. That will give an idea of how they all fit together, and how to cut each panel.
Re: 8Pi Midhorn fabrication [message #96415 is a reply to message #96406] Wed, 22 February 2023 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne. I guess I was confused by the overall dimensions, since your specifications page says the six and seven are only 18 inches wide. Which wouldn't fit the 24 inch horn flare.

So the "Midhorn Flat pack kit" is 24x12 inches?
Re: 8Pi Midhorn fabrication [message #96416 is a reply to message #96415] Wed, 22 February 2023 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, you're right. The specs page shows the six and seven to be 18" wide, which is actually the width of just the bass bin. Perhaps I should change that.

The midhorn mouth is a foot tall and two feet wide, and is the same in all three models, the six, seven and eight.

The difference on the six and seven is that the midhorn rests on top of the bass bin, whereas the midhorn in the eight Pi model is part of the cabinet. Its rear chamber forms a bass reflex system.
Re: 8Pi Midhorn fabrication [message #96418 is a reply to message #96406] Wed, 22 February 2023 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne, that's much clearer.

Am I interpreting things correctly that the 8pi kit (along with 6 and 7) will come with the tweeter horn flare, but not the midhorn?

I have enough plywood leftover from my 2pis that I'm going to try and build a midhorn to see if it works. I think the baltic birch's endgrain will look really nice if I do this right. I've modeled the horn in CAD and worked out the angles. Biggest question at this point for me is clamping for the glue-up.
Re: 8Pi Midhorn fabrication [message #96421 is a reply to message #96418] Wed, 22 February 2023 13:44 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like a great plan.

And - yes - you're right that driver kits include the H290C waveguide but not the midhorn flare or any other wood panels.
Previous Topic: Aztec Monet Cabinets
Next Topic: Pi Three and Pi Four Speaker Plans?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:29:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio