Home » Audio » Source » Practical limit to tube based phono preamps
Re: Practical limit to tube based phono preamps [message #96299 is a reply to message #96277] Mon, 23 January 2023 20:17 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Good stuff. I nearly always use JJ small signal tubes. As you noted they are quiet and accurate. I like simple designs with as few stages as necessary with as few components as needed to do the job. It is possible to achieve really excellent results with non-expensive components. Careful attention to layout especially grounding is essential for a quiet build. The subject of grounding is not intuitive and requires a really good understanding of micro current voltages induced into the ground conductors and swamping noise etc from higher power stage ground currents into lower power stages. IMO the more filtering in the power supply the better. I do not like chokes for the reasons given. But I will use active filtering. Likely LR8XX or FET capacitive multipliers. 6 sections seem about typical for my builds, but I have gone as far as 9 in phono preamps. I am fanatical about getting rid of hum and noise.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: STD 305M with SME Series 3 Arm, Which Protractor
Next Topic: Saved On Vinyl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:53:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers