Home » Audio » Radio » 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola
1922 Westinghouse Aeriola [message #96211] Wed, 30 November 2022 12:33 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've been meaning to write about this for weeks, but have been busy and just forgot to create a post.

Look what my wife got me for my birthday:

A 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola radio with the tube intact!

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3280&private=0
1922 Westinghouse Aeriola Radio

It appears to be a regenerative single-triode radio that was designed to use batteries for power and high-impedance headphones for output. The tuning element is inductive rather than capacitive. So it's a hoot!

I have a bunch of tube radios from the late 1930s to the 1950s but this is my first 1920s radio.

I plan to power it with a modern supply and probably drive a modern amplifier. Or I might try to find the partner tube amp. I also think I'll store the original tube and replace it with a substitute. The WD-11 tube designed for this set is rare, delicate and expensive. It's a four-pin triode, with a unique pin layout. They're at least a couple hundred bucks each, and the filament is reportedly delicate. But a quick search of the internet shows me that some people substitute a 5676 tube using a pin-adapter.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3281&private=0
WD-11 tube removed

I think it will need a good antenna, and that's kind of a problem since I live in the Ozarks. In Tulsa, I could receive stations in the AM band from hundreds of miles away. Oklahoma is flatland, so you get the best radio reception. And Tulsa has a 50kW "boomer" station at 1170kHz - KVOO from 1926 to 2002, KFAQ from 2002 to last year and now KTSB since 2021 - easy to detect with a crystal radio. But where I live now - in the hills - radio signals are much harder to receive.

Re: 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola [message #96212 is a reply to message #96211] Wed, 30 November 2022 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Happy birthday Wayne. And head for the top of the hills when you get that fine old antique singing again. Maybe it'll catch something. Love the tickler dial. You have a fine worthwhile hobby.
P.S.
Did you get your old Chevy roadworthy. You've got a lot of irons going.
Re: 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola [message #96213 is a reply to message #96212] Thu, 01 December 2022 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You are so right about my "lotta irons in the fire."

The Impala is still at the paint/body shop, although it is close to being ready to roll. The upholstery shop has finished the seats and the side trim - actually long ago - and they are waiting for the car to arrive from the body shop so they can do their thing. They will install carpet, seats, headliner and all the trim pieces. Then it needs all the suspension bushings replaced. I built an engine for the car - it's in my garage - but I'll probably drive it for a minute with the stock 327 before I drop in my engine.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3282&private=0
1968 Impala

I'm also building the 455 for my Cutlass. The last engine lasted eight years, which is pretty good for an engine like that. And it came out running, bearings in good shape and really still could have lasted a while longer. But I felt it was time for a rebuild. It's not cool to let an engine like that get old, in my opinion. Keep its bark sharp.

Lastly, I've been on an antique computer kick. I've been doing a lot of work on old 1970s computers. My latest thing is old Altairs. I just love computers from that era!

Re: 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola [message #96214 is a reply to message #96213] Thu, 01 December 2022 09:30 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wow! Blue is generally not my favorite for a car color, but that looks really tasteful. The dark mag wheels and all. I remember from h.s. days that those wheels were the standard bearer of having a cool lookin machine. I wonder if the movie Bullitt had an influence there.
You're going to have a lot of boomer age heads turning when you go showboating round town when it's all done.
Goodbye family coupe, hello scorching street rod.
Previous Topic: The First REAL World War?
Next Topic: News or Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:50:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout