Home » Audio » General » Roon, Tidal, QObuz (A comparison)
Roon, Tidal, QObuz [message #96170] Fri, 11 November 2022 11:59 Go to next message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
I started this string to check one's stereo system. Last night,
I was at audiophile/music lover Dan's house and we compared
Roon, Tidal, QObuz using the exact same selections.

Did we hear a difference between these three sources?
Does a rabbit have ears?

But, but, but bits is bits.

Does anyone else perceive a difference? If so, what difference?

cheers

pos
Re: Roon, Tidal, QObuz [message #96196 is a reply to message #96170] Tue, 15 November 2022 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I don't do any hifi streaming. I probably need to try it sometime. I'm still old school analog for the most part. Not because of bias, but more just because "it's what I've got." I have a handful of midfi audio streaming devices but my hifi gear is mostly analog, with exception of a couple really nice Blue-Ray players.

But I will say that - in the world of digital - I can hear a big difference between CD and Blu-Ray, which I think is mostly digital resolution. Mixing differences can matter, but in this case, I don't think it's in the mix, I think it's all from the format of the audio files.

There are so many differences in conversion techniques, and when compression is involved, even more differences in the algorithms there. So there's no doubt differences between streaming platforms, just like there are differences in DACs and in digital audio files. They all do their own thing.

Personally, I think it's awesome that digital storage capacity and transmission speed have increased to the point where real-time content can be stored and transmitted digitally with such good quality. I understand the thinking of the "analog purists" but I also understand the benefits of digital.
Re: Roon, Tidal, QObuz [message #96197 is a reply to message #96196] Tue, 15 November 2022 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I prefer analog as well..but do have a number of hi-rez DACs and other gear. Is there a difference, I certainly think so. But...after 24/92 resolution it is rather small in theory. The bigger issue is are you really getting a hi-rez piece of music or one bumped up from a lower standard. All you know is what is reported in the signal received. For example if you take a MP3 and recode it to some much higher rate, the sound will be the same as the native MP3. The most consistent HQ sound I get is off of blue ray audio disks and closely matched by HD CDs. All else seems suspect. YMMV

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Roon, Tidal, QObuz [message #96202 is a reply to message #96197] Sun, 20 November 2022 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
positron is currently offline  positron
Viscount
I did some more testing and Tidal did not make it in terms of redbook/cd
quality, let alone hi rez. So I tried Qobuz but they would not send the
code to my email, so I tried Deezer.

Deezer did meet my redbook quality standards, so I went with them.

Then I found a review site with many comments. I brought this up because
gobs of individuals stated that when they quit Deezer, Deezer kept billing
them. So please be careful. I plan on keeping Deezer, about half the price
of tidal, and better quality sound.

Now only if Qobuz would send that code, I could test it as well. Laughing

cheers

pos
Re: Roon, Tidal, QObuz [message #96203 is a reply to message #96202] Sun, 20 November 2022 11:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Thanks for reporting what you found. Very useful information!
Previous Topic: The State of Hi Fi
Next Topic: Strange behavior in PC/TV monitor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:22:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout