Home » xyzzy » Tower » Long Live VCR
Long Live VCR [message #96070] Thu, 13 October 2022 20:08 Go to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
Who still has a working vcr and tapes? I have a Panasonic PV-7661 that eats my tape. And lots of movies too. VCR dead like the dinosaurs and never coming back.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/170921/20160721/vhs-tapes-finally-dead-last-vcr-will-made-month-htm
Re: Long Live VCR [message #96072 is a reply to message #96070] Fri, 14 October 2022 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Can't say I miss it. Unlike the venerable turntable, the one vintage format I still go to.
Re: Long Live VCR [message #96074 is a reply to message #96070] Fri, 14 October 2022 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
That article is from 2016 so vhs is way past over now.

There's still one vhs unit here and it was working the last time it was used. It doesn't get much use anymore as we don't tend to rewatch movies.

When it dies I Don't know if it'll get replaced with a used model from a thrift store or the old tapes will just be cleaned out.

It's odd how formats come and go. A few days ago I wandered into a few retail shops for the first time since the pandemic started and discovered that CD's are gone. Some places have a tiny (tiny!) selection of music cd's or just have audio books on the format. Vinyl? Yup, there's vinyl. DVD's. Yup. But you'll have to get your music cd's online.

It was strange.
Re: Long Live VCR [message #96078 is a reply to message #96074] Fri, 14 October 2022 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
We use them from time to time. We have a library of stuff as well. The best ones I have found for longevity and ease of repair are by Sony. Get any of the 4 head Stereo HQ ones. There are several different models. The ones like the SLV-675HF seem to be the easiest to get and service. We have a couple of newer ones around..but they are not as good. Naturally the video quality will not be up to digital standards. But then if you are only playing stuff you already have that is not an issue. If you want to capture video now go the digital route. There are several ways to do it, but beware of the HDMI anti copy features. One way that usually works is to use a splitter that goes to both a HDMI capable TV (so the source can see you have something compatible with the anti-copy) and the other to a recording device. There are many choices. The copies are for personal use only to avoid copywrite issues.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Long Live VCR [message #96083 is a reply to message #96070] Sun, 16 October 2022 16:26 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
We have one we no longer use. Haven't in many, many years.
We even had a "rewinder" to try and preserve the player lol.

And lets not forget how you should "be kind...rewind" before returning that movie to the rental store.
Previous Topic: Future of blu-ray player
Next Topic: My Cat Snores
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:29:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout