Home » Audio » Source » Black fluff on the stylus
Black fluff on the stylus [message #13115] Fri, 20 October 2006 11:31 Go to next message
Jonathan is currently offline  Jonathan
Esquire

Hi all,

I am a bit worried as my stylus is picking up a lot of fluff when I am playing records. When I pick up and roll the fluff with my fingers, it is black (yes, my hands are clean).

This had lead me to think that my stylus is worn or chipped and was scraping off the vinyl in the groove wall, so therefore I brought a brand new stylus. However, my brand new stylus is also picking up a lot of black fluff.

I am rather concerned and would like to know if the fluff is actually chiseled vinyl or just plain old dust.

The picture shows the black fluff on my new stylus.

I hope that someone can advice me.

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Black fluff on the stylus [message #13117 is a reply to message #13115] Fri, 20 October 2006 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Go buy a record at a used record store. Play it on your turntable and see if you still get this black debris. If not, there is something about your environment or cleaning system that is making this, and your needle is picking it up. If so, then I'd be concerned the turntable is causing it and the next step would be to find out why. It can't hurt to check tracking weight and other settings too.

Re: Black fluff on the stylus [message #13118 is a reply to message #13117] Sun, 22 October 2006 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks,

I'll get a record today and I'll let you know about the results tomorrow.

Jon

Re: Black fluff on the stylus [message #13126 is a reply to message #13118] Wed, 25 October 2006 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi,

The new record also cause the stylus to pick up a lot of fluff.

Jon

Re: Black fluff on the stylus [message #13127 is a reply to message #13126] Wed, 25 October 2006 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Sounds like maybe you need to adjust your tone arm. Hopefully that's all it is.

Re: Black fluff on the stylus [message #13128 is a reply to message #13127] Fri, 27 October 2006 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hmmm... My tracking weight is on 1g (recommended tracking force is 1.5g) and the anti skating is on 0.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I usually play records with the dust cover opened... Is this something to look into as well?

Jon

Re: Black fluff on the stylus [message #13137 is a reply to message #13115] Sun, 05 November 2006 12:44 Go to previous message
Dewald Visser is currently offline  Dewald Visser
Esquire
Hi Jon,

Get yourself a record cleaner - your records may be dirty.

Also, try getting a ONZOW Zero Dust stylus cleaner - this is the best stylus cleaner on the market today.

Regards,
Dewald

Previous Topic: Entech 205.2
Next Topic: Haplessly buzzing Pro-Ject
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:40:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers