Home » Audio » Measurement » Crossover slopes (for old subs)
Crossover slopes [message #95947] Tue, 30 August 2022 12:58 Go to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Hi Wayne,

There are a couple of old Triad subs in the house that were purchased back in the 1980's. Pulled them out to sell them but figured they might do OK as flanking subs as they aren't too large and would fit in my living room. Don't know their crossover frequency is or what the slope of that crossover might be.

They have built in amps and crossovers. The crossover isn't adjustable as these seemed designed to match up with a pair of Triad bookshelf speakers (that I never owned).

Couldn't find boo on the Internet about them. Contacted Triad and they sent me an old document that had a little itty bit of info. It's not what I was hoping for but it's something. And after 40 years they get credit for being able to find anything at all.

The bookshelves had a published frequency response of 100hz to 18,000khz +/- 3 db.

The subs are 38hz to 98 hz +0, -3 db.

Can we deduce anything about the slope of the crossover with that little bit of info?

Measuring the things with the right gear would do it but I've not got any of that gear. Any idea if an app in a smartphone would provide enough crude data to get the slope?

Thanks,

Barry
Re: Crossover slopes [message #95948 is a reply to message #95947] Tue, 30 August 2022 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's really just a guess without measurements. But it does sound like they intended to run the subwoofer up pretty high to match their mains. So it might just work as a flanking sub.

One thing you can do without measurements is to run the sub by itself and listen. If it sounds like you can hear muffled vocals, then there is some energy in the region we blend with mains to reduce SBIR and higher modes. That's the purpose of flanking subs. So if you hear that, they may just work for you!
Re: Crossover slopes [message #95949 is a reply to message #95948] Tue, 30 August 2022 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Excellent advice. Far easier than anything I'd expected.

I owe you a dollar. Very Happy
Re: Crossover slopes [message #95950 is a reply to message #95949] Tue, 30 August 2022 22:40 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

https://audioroundtable.com/images/big_grin.gif
Previous Topic: Crossover optimization for DI-matched two-way speakers
Next Topic: aX IEC 60268-5 replacement article
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:23:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio