Home » Audio » Speaker » Shipping speakers
Shipping speakers [message #95893] Mon, 15 August 2022 19:45 Go to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Anyone lend some advice on shipping speakers?

The speakers are likely going to be shipped across country. Between the shipping costs, paypal and the shipping boxes it'll add around $300.00 to the cost of the speakers.

Definitely going to double box them with a few inches of bubble wrap between the two boxes.

One friend has told me that you want UPS to do the boxing just to make it more likely to collect insurance if things go wrong. Any opinions on this as it would likely add quite a bit of cost?

And any opinions of using USP or Fedex for the shipping? Any other carriers to look at?

Many thanks, I'm new at this.
Re: Shipping speakers [message #95894 is a reply to message #95893] Mon, 15 August 2022 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If they're small, you can ship with carriers like UPS and Fed-X. Just pack them well and be sure to insure them for an appropriate amount. I'd say one out of a thousand packages are damaged or lost.

If larger than about a cubic foot and/or heavier than 50 pounds, palletize each speaker and have a crate built around the pallet. Then send 'em via LTL carrier. Still want to be insured, of course, and the risk is still about the same. But palletized packages sent by LTL truck offer different methods to load and unload. This has some advantages on larger packages, and I think makes 'em less prone to having problems on either end.

Ironically, it's often cheaper to ship LTL too, especially for heavy stuff. Then again, the cost of crating usually more than makes up the transport savings in cost.
Re: Shipping speakers [message #95897 is a reply to message #95893] Tue, 16 August 2022 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Thanks Wayne.

The buyer is leaning towards having the carrier packing the double box just in case we have to file a claim. It's very likely that the cost of shipping, insurance and boxing will exceed a reasonable cost.

It sure has been a learning experience.
Re: Shipping speakers [message #95904 is a reply to message #95893] Wed, 17 August 2022 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Viscount
Is there a reason you don't want to use USPS? I know the postal service isn't fancy, but they have reasonable rates that include insurance and a free box. That's who Amazon uses, and they're a billion-dollar company, so there must be something to it. I order a lot off eBay, and those sellers also usually ship with USPS. It can't hurt to price it out.
Re: Shipping speakers [message #95907 is a reply to message #95893] Wed, 17 August 2022 11:09 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
eBay sellers often use drop-shipping as their entire business model. They are simply ordering from another source, adding a small mark-up, and allowing that source to ship it off. Maybe that's why you're seeing so many USPS packages.

DHL is the only other shipping company I know. I've used them before at work. They did a decent job. I think they were cheaper than FedEx and UPS, which is why we used them.

Previous Topic: 2 channel reinforcement subs
Next Topic: Voice Coil July 2022
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:19:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout