Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Close to finished 2 Pi Tower (Progress Report 2Pi tower)
Close to finished 2 Pi Tower [message #95812] Sat, 09 July 2022 21:28 Go to next message
iplayforme is currently offline  iplayforme
Esquire

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3222&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3221&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3218&private=0

Here's the fruit of some labor.

I used 3/4" MDF everywhere except the front which are 1" I adjusted to keep the same inside dimensions. I also adjusted for those plates I put in the bottom. I just hope I adjusted enough. for some of the small braces I added. It's a bad habit but I tend to stray just a bit from plans. I built a small boat once that wound up heavier than it should have been due to my "improvements". I did end up being indestructible, nearly.

Used Urea Formaldehyde glue everywhere except one front because I had some gaps to fill, so I used epoxy with wood flour filler,

Sealed insides with thinned Titebond

All butt joints except rabbets on the front and back.

Used a Milescraft circle cutting jig and a true trac setup aside from the smaller hand tools.

Used 777 adhesive for the R13. I thought I had a picture with all the insulation in place but no. I did the top, braces, one side and front baffle up to the woofer. As in the plan.

My way of sinking the T nuts was to drive them in with a pipe clamp. It acted like a press. Just squeezed them in. Worked very very well. I had some concern about that step as I've botched them before. A sizeable C-clamp would work too.

Going forward I'll seal everything with epoxy and then paint them. I'm going to research rolling and tipping to see if it looks like I can get a good finish that way after sanding and recoating a bunch. I'd really like to avoid spraying. It's humid and I have no dryer on my compressor. I also detest all the overspray.

My biggest gripe with the job I did is that I didn't plan well and ended up jumping around to tasks rather than creating a more sensible workflow. With all these projects I'd love the benefit of having a cabinet maker tell me in what order to cut, assemble etc. I should create a sheet of notes with every particular and save the head scratching for night time. However, I haven't really built anything in quite a while and would probably do a better job on a second set in the near future. Soon I'll tackle a set of subs.

All in all I'm pleased so far. I tested one and it sounds just fine. I'll check the other tomorrow and then start prepping for the sealing and painting. I'm going to radius the edges as they just beg for trouble. I can definitely appreciate the strong points of MDF, but it's still pretty delicate compared to plywood. A few minutes in the sun and WOW does it get a whip in it. They are sounding pretty "dead" though. They weight 86 pounds each! I nearly hurt myself carrying the one inside this morning.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3220&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3219&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3218&private=0
Re: Close to finished 2 Pi Tower [message #95814 is a reply to message #95812] Sat, 09 July 2022 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lookin' great so far!
Re: Close to finished 2 Pi Tower [message #95815 is a reply to message #95814] Sun, 10 July 2022 01:00 Go to previous message
iplayforme is currently offline  iplayforme
Esquire

Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 09 July 2022 23:12
Lookin' great so far!

Thanks very much. Now the hard part I guess. Regardless of how they sound they won't get the respect if I botch the finish. I'm confident it's gonna be fine. Then I tattoo that Pi symbol on there and rest a bit. Then 2 subs and a pair of 3's.

A divorce somewhere in the middle, My wife has been so many widows. Fishing widow, hunting, motorcycle and now Hi-Fi widow. She's getting fed up.
Previous Topic: 8 pi speakers install tweeter waveguide inside cabinet?
Next Topic: Precision engineering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:54:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout