Home » Audio » Speaker » 2 channel reinforcement subs
2 channel reinforcement subs [message #95809] Sat, 09 July 2022 19:35 Go to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Wayne, I know you've ran a pair of your subs to reinforce the low end with your 3pis and just fill the room a bit.

I have some tube amps and preamps as well as an old Sansui AU-719 (no preamp-amp disconnect) and would like to add a pair of subs. So no dedicated sub outs. Just speaker level outs from the amps or the line level from the preamps. Could you remind me how exactly you're doing this? I will be putting plate amps on the subs.

Thanks!
Re: 2 channel reinforcement subs [message #95813 is a reply to message #95809] Sat, 09 July 2022 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Look up threads on "flanking subs." Basically, you run the subs pretty high, with a gentle low-pass filter. I like 100Hz second-order. Run the mains full range, so they blend with the flanking subs. Set a sub just beside, behind and below the main speaker it's flanking.
Re: 2 channel reinforcement subs [message #95819 is a reply to message #95813] Sun, 10 July 2022 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What's your chain to the subs? Are you using a pre-out of the amp, or LFE, or high level outs? Basically trying to see exactly how to hook these things up without having a pre-out on my main amp. I guess the easiest would be to use the extra set of speaker outs as a high level to a pair of plate amps?
Re: 2 channel reinforcement subs [message #95820 is a reply to message #95819] Sun, 10 July 2022 17:14 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always use the R/L channel preamp outputs. You could use the high-level speaker outputs, but if there's any hum it will be strongly presented to the subs.
Previous Topic: Your Take on Smart Speakers?
Next Topic: Shipping speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:24:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout