Home » Audio » Speaker » So tiny! (Great old ad)
So tiny! [message #95676] Mon, 13 June 2022 06:54 Go to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
An old Altec ad touting how small the A7 speaker was and how easy it was to get past the significant other. Up until now I had no idea the A7 was so little.
Very Happy

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3073&private=0
  • Attachment: altec_a7.jpg
    (Size: 208.91KB, Downloaded 265 times)
Re: So tiny! [message #95678 is a reply to message #95676] Mon, 13 June 2022 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That's so awesome! I love the speaker and I love the ad!

Advertisements for computers of that era are great too. Just love 'em!
Re: So tiny! [message #95751 is a reply to message #95676] Fri, 01 July 2022 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Oh, so golden ears were a thing back then, too. That's interesting. I like old ads. It's amazing to see how far we've come - both with technology and with complaining about wives as the spoilers of fun.
Re: So tiny! [message #95753 is a reply to message #95751] Fri, 01 July 2022 13:38 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I have a pair of the Altec Magnificents. They are really "small" at 7.5 cubic feet each. I had to rebuild them as there were no drivers. They use the same drivers as most other Altecs (15 inch woofer and horn for everything else). While they are not going to make me get rid of my electrostatics, they do have a really nice sound. That vintage, smooth sound that is easy to listen to. They are a bit heavy (nearly 250 pounds each) and do not lend themselves to most listening rooms. I have mine in corners. I got replacement woofers from Great Plains Audio. They are exactly like the OEM ones. (now really expensive getting into the range of the OEM ones) I could not find any of the actual tweeters at any price below that of a good motorcycle. So I used Radian compression drivers with SEOS wave guides. Just a few watts produces massive sound. Bottom end is about 22HZ and top is off scale. /forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3095&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Chris Brunhaver (PS Audio)
Next Topic: Anyone Bi-Amping Tannoy Westminster GR's?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:43:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio