Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » The next big thing
Re: The next big thing [message #95717 is a reply to message #95716] Sat, 25 June 2022 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, very cool. A star ground, with placement optimized by fit and test.

Extreme excellence, as always, from OddWatt!
Re: The next big thing [message #95726 is a reply to message #95717] Sat, 25 June 2022 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, BTW this thing has a secondary function that might appeal to some folks. It can be used as a line stage preamp that can drive a huge length of cable. Possibly hundreds of feet. The Zout will deliver volts RMS at around 50 ma peak into 64 ohms. Ought to be plenty for any reasonable run to power amps. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The next big thing [message #95752 is a reply to message #95726] Fri, 01 July 2022 13:21 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. This morning I paired the amp with a Groove phono preamp. A really exceptional combination. No line stage or anything else. Super quiet, no hum at any level even full gain. Some tube hiss at really high gain levels that comes from the Groove. Not surprising as the gain in it is quite high and all tubes do have some hiss. Even the nearly -90db S/N has some. The amp itself has none. Since LPs have at best a S/N of about 65-70db the hiss is not audible. Probably 20db below the source (LP) noise of even the best records. Really clean sound. Exceptional response. Makes my neck hairs prickle. I used it with my shop turntable. A modified Pro-ject with a Jelco 370H arm, speedbox, and acrylic platter. Cartridge is a Goldring 1042. I used my AT ATF-MSH-7 phones. They are quite linear and smooth sounding. Some Sennheisers (HD280 Pro) I have have a slight tilt toward the low end and sounded really nice as well, just more bottom end. Not excessive and they might be something other folks would find preferable. If you need a phone amp this is the one you should consider. I figure it is one of my best designs. A real over achiever.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Funky Project
Next Topic: Fivre 6SL7 tube - sound profile / recommendation / comparisons
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:27:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers