Home » Audio » Home Theater » Furniture with built-in speakers
Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95625] Sun, 15 May 2022 13:58 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I keep seeing commercials for Lovesac furniture which have speakers built directly into the structure. What are your thoughts on that? It sounds like a good plan to save on space, but I have my doubts about the audio quality. I wonder if the sound is muffled.
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95628 is a reply to message #95625] Mon, 16 May 2022 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
With a name like Lovesac, I'd expect loud and uninhibited.
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95629 is a reply to message #95628] Mon, 16 May 2022 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

https://audioroundtable.com/images/Laughing_Group.gif
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95634 is a reply to message #95625] Wed, 18 May 2022 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yeah, I still giggle like a school boy every time they say the name, but seriously, what do you guys think about the audio quality? I've heard of speakers being built within bookcases, but not sofas. Won't the cushions and padding ruin the sound, or could this thing work?
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95635 is a reply to message #95634] Wed, 18 May 2022 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
For a cheap thrill you can sit on top of the woofer. Cool

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95636 is a reply to message #95635] Thu, 19 May 2022 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Seriously, I think it's gimmicky. For the low end they might use those "tactile" transducers, like you can use for home theater. I've seen them at Parts Express. They call them "shakers". Somehow I harken back to Johnny Carson and his skit character Art Fern, the Tea Time movie huckster with his lovely buxom assistant to hock this product. Ooooh yes friends he would say gazing upon her fine frame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJeMgazZuuM
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95640 is a reply to message #95625] Fri, 20 May 2022 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yeah, I figured that it was too good to be true. It's a nice idea because a person could save so much space if the speakers were combined with the sofa and chair, but yeah, I'm sure the sound quality suffers. It's pricey too. A sofa goes for around $5k.
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95641 is a reply to message #95635] Sat, 21 May 2022 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 18 May 2022 21:39
For a cheap thrill you can sit on top of the woofer.
You can sit on the subwoofer. It goes in the seat. Seriously. And yes, the sound gets muffled depending on where you're sitting, and it's made worse if you've got blankets and pillows on the couch. So sit in the middle. Alone. Then it's a great experience. Almost like being in the theater.
Re: Furniture with built-in speakers [message #95914 is a reply to message #95625] Thu, 18 August 2022 07:12 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
This is the best thread ever. You guys are killing me with the humor. You can feel the subwoofer. They claim it's part of the experience - "you not only see the action on the screen, but you feel it too." Anyway, the sound gets muffled/dampened and the couches are expensive.
Previous Topic: I want to convert my basement
Next Topic: miniDSP or not?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:20:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout