Home » Audio » Source » Safe to play?
Safe to play? [message #95461] Fri, 01 April 2022 18:08 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Interesting situation here - my father found some old cassettes that he believes contain words of wisdom from the guys he served with in the military. He got married before being shipped to Vietnam, and the guys at basic recorded some advice for him. The problem is that the tapes look like they're in pretty bad shape. They're old and grimy. My question is, do I take the chance of playing them, or is it better to ship them to a professional who can determine whether they need converted instead. I'm tempted to give it a try, but I'd hate to wreck the tapes.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95462 is a reply to message #95461] Fri, 01 April 2022 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
From what you've shared, it looks like you have more than one tape. I think you should try to play one of them. If it works, great. If not, then you can send the mangled tape off with the others to see if the recordings can be salvaged. Play it loud enough that you can record it digitally at the same time. There's probably a machine that will do that for you, but I've never run across one.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95467 is a reply to message #95461] Sat, 02 April 2022 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
We've played the first tape. Some of it comes through, but it cuts out here and there. No big deal. It plays enough to get the gist of it. How cool that Dad found these tapes! We're having a blast playing them. They are grimy as can be. I'm surprised they play at all.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95469 is a reply to message #95461] Sun, 03 April 2022 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I'm glad to hear that it worked out. I've sent some old reels off to have them turned into a modern format, and the quality was very hit-or-miss. Plus, it cost a fortune. It all depends on the quality of the source material, so it's probably not worth sending off a junked up tape. The pros are good, but they can't do magic.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95474 is a reply to message #95461] Sun, 03 April 2022 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I'm glad they're working for you. You do know that you should probably clean the player after each use, right? Under normal circumstances that isn't necessary, but these aren't normal circumstances.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95484 is a reply to message #95461] Mon, 04 April 2022 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That is a really cool story, I'm glad things have worked out well so far. I ran across some old cassettes years ago in the upstairs of a historic building, but they weren't saveable I'm afraid.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95491 is a reply to message #95461] Tue, 05 April 2022 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
Leot55 wrote on Fri, 01 April 2022 18:08
Interesting situation here - my father found some old cassettes that he believes contain words of wisdom from the guys he served with in the military.
If those are of at least halfway decent quality, you may have more than just personal memorabilia (not to downplay that).

Outlets like The History Channel would be interested in those. And by all means, they wouldn't be given away if you catch my drift.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95500 is a reply to message #95461] Tue, 05 April 2022 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
I would find a way to digitize them as soon as possible. They may work now, but I don't think they have much life left.

At the very least, take dictations.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95501 is a reply to message #95500] Tue, 05 April 2022 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Miami wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:28

At the very least, take dictations.

That's actually a sound idea. (Excuse the play on words).

It would be a shame if those messages were lost. It's all a part of history.
Re: Safe to play? [message #95808 is a reply to message #95461] Sat, 09 July 2022 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Curry is currently offline  Curry
Chancellor
That is equally interesting to me. My father used to be a circuit preacher, and I recall some old tapes of his sermons together with other good but oldies country songs by Skeeter Davis and Dolly Parton that I have been trying to save. I would appreciate having them converted and listening to those rare sweet voices again.

Previous Topic: Saved On Vinyl
Next Topic: Radial Audio Stealth One Tonearm by Dean Slindee
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:26:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout