Home » Audio » Source » turntable buzz (grounding)
turntable buzz (grounding) [message #13080] Sun, 10 September 2006 08:24 Go to next message
Bill Rue is currently offline  Bill Rue
Esquire
Hi--

I am experienceing buzz (very slight) when I move my tonearm over the platter. The buzz is not discernable until the cartridge is about midway over the platter. Is this normal? Could it be the cartridge picking up motor noise? Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Bill Rue
willrue@aol.com

Re: turntable buzz (grounding) [message #13081 is a reply to message #13080] Sun, 10 September 2006 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You always hear about "Grado hum" and unshielded TT motors are a problem.
But you describe static, not AC hum.
ISTM that what you have is the need to change the grounding set-up of table, cartridge and arm.
Is the table grounded or are you only using the ground on the cables?
Add a ground from table chassis to either the phono ground or another component.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Re: turntable buzz (grounding) [message #13082 is a reply to message #13081] Sun, 10 September 2006 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hi Bill--

Thanks for responding. It's a 'hum' and not static. I am using a Grado Gold cartridge with a Luxman PD 272 turntable. How could I ground the table itself? And I've never heard of the Grado 'hum'. This is a recent development and this must be my 4rd Grado Gold cartridge in the past several years. Never had this 'hum' before. And it only occurs over the platter as you draw the tone arm toward the spindle. Strange. Maybe my hearing is actually becoming more acute as I get older! ho ho ho! : (

Re: turntable buzz (grounding) [message #13089 is a reply to message #13082] Sat, 16 September 2006 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Grados are unshielded, and if your motor is also unshielded, it can pick up hum from the motor. sometimes it increases as the arm moves closer to the motor.

Russellc

Re: turntable buzz (grounding) [message #13090 is a reply to message #13089] Sat, 16 September 2006 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Hey Russell:

Thanks so much for taking the time to read of my tale of turntable woe. I've used Grado cartridges for many years and have never had this kind of buzzing before. It's only noticeable when the headphone monitor is cranked to '11'. Is the Luxman PD 272 (c. 1982) an unshielded turntable?
Thanks for responding!
Bill
info@vinylhaven.com

Re: turntable buzz (grounding) [message #13091 is a reply to message #13090] Sat, 16 September 2006 21:16 Go to previous message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I really dont know if that motor is shielded or not...that is one cause of hum with grados, but hum can be, as others have pointed out, from various different sources. Have you previously sucessfully used grados with this set up? Of course, of all components, phonos can be the worst hum problems, lots of gain on small signals, what is this turned up you are talking about? are you listening through headphones? Using a headphone amp for a pre or what? As gain is increased, hum generally will worsen if present. My mains are Altec A7s, well over 100db efficient, so hum MUST be kept to a minimum to be tolerable to say the least. Have any other cartridges to use to determine if it makes a difference?

Russellc

Previous Topic: Magnepa Unitrac I Tonearm kicks Arse!
Next Topic: Bang & Olufsen TT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 17:54:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout