Home » xyzzy » Tower » How To Help Ukraine
How To Help Ukraine [message #95375] Mon, 14 March 2022 00:15 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Does anyone know to what extent we have helped, could help, or are still helping the Ukrainians?

I understand the need for more military hardware, but the women and children that flee, in what way can we help? What can our expertise and knowledge, aka our strong suits, do to help?
Re: How To Help Ukraine [message #95377 is a reply to message #95375] Mon, 14 March 2022 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can send money, but of course, as with all organizations that accept donations, you need to check and make sure your donations are actually getting there.

You can also go there to provide assistance, if you have the time and resources.
Re: How To Help Ukraine [message #95379 is a reply to message #95375] Mon, 14 March 2022 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
Calming music in the shelters and camps for the refugees. That's the first thing that came to mind, but there are other musical options, I'm sure.
Re: How To Help Ukraine [message #95407 is a reply to message #95379] Sun, 20 March 2022 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Some real sanctions would really help as well. If you're going to do something, don't do it half arsed. But, other things are involved. Principally as usual. Monaaaaaay.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/mar/16/russia-rich-wealthy-western-elites-thomas-piketty
Re: How To Help Ukraine [message #96491 is a reply to message #95407] Wed, 08 March 2023 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I had some insomnia last night, I thought the tv would help lull me. It did eventually, but I found this interesting highlighting some history of Russia. It helped me understand a little bit perhaps the mindset and the character of Putin, and the country itself. With a geography that's so vast, from the outskirts of Europe to nearly Alaska, (11 time zones) plays such a profound part as well as the ethnic mix of this country in the Russian psyche. And why too, Russia cannot accept a democratically run government.

It answered some of my confusing beliefs to that statement and with it's long and turbulent history. Control of it's vastness and people comes as not such a surprise now in light of the war raging in Ukraine. A country long a pawn in geopolitical machinations. Putin's brutality is no stranger in the Russian collective mentality.
But the build up of NATO, the color revolution as it's called in 2014, and the Minsk I & II diplomatic accords that eventually failed can all be factored into what's now a terrible, as they all are, war, that Putin decided was necessary. No exoneration but some insight.

Russia Can't Become a Democracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hOZ74kij2M

And to further supplement Putin's character is a great interview of a journalist, born in Russia, Julia Loffe from the series on PBS, Putin and the Presidents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEu0oRajJxE
Re: How To Help Ukraine [message #96561 is a reply to message #96491] Sun, 26 March 2023 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Thanks for links, bro. Helpful as always.

Times like these are when typical sanctions won't work. Just cut them off 100% from the world economy. Russia AND China. Cut them off in every regard and let them help themselves.

It will be hard on everyone at first, but it's a necessary pain.
Re: How To Help Ukraine [message #96564 is a reply to message #96561] Sun, 26 March 2023 17:34 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Times like these are when typical sanctions won't work. Just cut them off 100% from the world economy. Russia AND China. Cut them off in every regard and let them help themselves.
That is a bit impossible. You have to understand that the world isn't a unipolar world. And the influence of America and it's allies isn't all encompassing. Look into the BRICS countries and what that is about. There are those who say this war could have been averted. Everything should be employed diplomatically to negotiate for peace.
Previous Topic: Performance where it counts
Next Topic: DOS ChatGPT client
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:18:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout