Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi front soundstage build (sufficient bracing?)
3Pi front soundstage build [message #95184] Fri, 04 February 2022 12:41 Go to next message
JakeAlmighty
Esquire
Hey all,

Recently began building the cabinets for my 3Pi speakers while I wait for Wayne to get the upgraded B&C drivers back in stock.

I have attached some pics of where I've gotten to so far.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3009&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3008&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3007&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3006&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3005&private=0

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3004&private=0

My main question is - is the current bracing I have in place sufficient? or should I also be placing a brace in the lower part of the cabinet. The pine I've placed towards the rear (for attaching the inset back panel onto) is sufficiently pre-loaded to act as bracing between the side panels, and from top to bottom. But the only bracing from front to back is the main brace to hang insulation on between the woofer and the compression driver.

Just wanted to check on this before I got going on sanding/finishing, and the insulation and gaskets. The back panels have been custom fit to each box so it is *tight*, but I allowed for speaker gasket to go round the perimeter and across the middle. Planning on sealing the rest of the interior perimeters with a silicone bead just in case.

thank you!
Re: 3Pi front soundstage build [message #95185 is a reply to message #95184] Fri, 04 February 2022 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compaddict is currently offline  compaddict
Viscount
Nice work!
Re: 3Pi front soundstage build [message #95186 is a reply to message #95185] Fri, 04 February 2022 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Your bracing between the woofer and tweeter looks great. It has the two purposes you rightly mentioned in your post - One is to preload and stiffen the panels and secondly and equally importantly is to serve as a place to put a sheet of insulation that spans the cross-section of the cabinet interior.
Re: 3Pi front soundstage build [message #95194 is a reply to message #95184] Sat, 05 February 2022 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron
The woofer is recessed, but it appears the horn is not? I was under the impression the mounting surface for each needs to be in the same plane for time alignment, or does it not shift the lobe that much....
Re: 3Pi front soundstage build [message #95197 is a reply to message #95194] Sat, 05 February 2022 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That would shift the forward lobe downward a couple degrees, but not all that much really. I tend to put my speakers on stands which tilt the forward lobe up three to five degrees. In any case, the forward lobe is tall - with vertical nulls spaced outside +/-20 degrees - so there's a lot of clean "vertical strata."
icon14.gif  Re: 3Pi front soundstage build [message #95198 is a reply to message #95197] Sat, 05 February 2022 15:31 Go to previous message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron

Thumbs Up
Previous Topic: Optional Drivers and Upgrades
Next Topic: 12pi bass horn plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Dec 03 14:01:40 CST 2022

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio