Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl still being sold?
Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13062 is a reply to message #13061] Wed, 16 August 2006 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
telegraph.hill is currently offline  telegraph.hill
Viscount
Yes, I saw the Specials when I lived in Japan. They were really good. I may see them again soon.

Yes - I can list some recordings and why I like them every once in a while. Do you mean particular tracks? Or bands?

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13063 is a reply to message #13062] Wed, 16 August 2006 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I would say recordings that are special enough to make you want to buy them. Like the recent Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris album.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13064 is a reply to message #13052] Thu, 17 August 2006 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Not to detour off a tangent here but the NYT just had an article two pages long about the problem the Smithsonian is having with data transferral from the different formats. It seems that the new formats such as CD and DVD have a finite life-span; they deteriorate from oxidation. Then there is what is called Bit Loss; each time you transfer some data from another source you lose bits. That means less resolution until it is useless. Know what they said is the longest and most reliable info storage? Paper. It will last indefinately. Not digital storage. Life expectancy? 15 yrs. Vinyl is supposedly good for over 100 yrs or more. Scratches? true; but nothing like the complete disintigration of the data on CD in the future.
My point is if you build a CD library you will need to re-format it in 15 yrs and when you do you lose info. Makes vinyl look a little better than it did for me.
As for scratches; I have albums from the 60's I bought as a kid. They have a little surface noise but nothing intrusive. So ask for a garrauntee of quality when you buy or buy new.
Hope this is of some interest.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13065 is a reply to message #13063] Sat, 19 August 2006 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Blimey! I didn't know that Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris had done an album! What a combination!

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13067 is a reply to message #13065] Sun, 20 August 2006 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yep; nice sounding and well recorded. Damn it is getting hard to find good new music. I bought a recording of Japanese flute I got so desperate.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13070 is a reply to message #13067] Fri, 08 September 2006 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That's nice. What sort of Japanese flute? I used to live in Japan, btw.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13074 is a reply to message #13070] Fri, 08 September 2006 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nogard is currently offline  nogard
Esquire
Yes, I seen some vinyl in this local music store the other day. Matter of fact there was a room with nothing but vinyl. There was old KISS vinyls there that I ended up buying. I have a ton of vinyls that I collect.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13092 is a reply to message #13074] Mon, 18 September 2006 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
What, you mean KISS the glam rock band? My neighbour is into them.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13132 is a reply to message #13051] Mon, 30 October 2006 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
destiny is currently offline  destiny
Baron
GEMM.com... I'll have to remember that, it sounds like a good place for vinyl collectors to start.

Re: Vinyl still being sold? [message #13133 is a reply to message #13074] Mon, 30 October 2006 17:37 Go to previous message
destiny is currently offline  destiny
Baron
I haven't seen vinyl being sold (except on eBay or at flea markets) for many years. But just thinking about it sure brings back some sweet memories.

Previous Topic: Needle Suppliers
Next Topic: Little help with an Old Technics (Belt Reattach)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:04:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio