Home » Audio » General » Remastered Music
Remastered Music [message #95099] Fri, 21 January 2022 09:14 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Has anyone here actually noticed an audible difference between remastered music and the original?

It seems that some artists like to remaster their stuff every 5 years or so, reformat the songs and resell the same old same old.

I can't notice a difference in quality.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95101 is a reply to message #95099] Fri, 21 January 2022 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think you're right. A marketing ploy.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95106 is a reply to message #95101] Sat, 22 January 2022 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Sometimes I think it sounds richer, but maybe that's just because I expect it to sound better. I'm not beyond a clever a marketing gimmick.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95109 is a reply to message #95101] Sun, 23 January 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Rusty wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 10:05
I think you're right. A marketing ploy.
Marketing ploy or not, I get 90% of my music off You Tube, so.........market away. They don't influence me.

Gullible is too harsh a word, so let's say the marketing works on people who don't know what to believe yet.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95395 is a reply to message #95099] Thu, 17 March 2022 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
Maybe there will be a change in the music if they use different equipment from their earlier recordings. Probably less noise and a few changes in tunes, but that's about that. Fans are the ones who would buy into this.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95400 is a reply to message #95395] Thu, 17 March 2022 21:19 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (4th Degree)
As a vinyl lover...yes there can be a significant difference. I have several original LPs from the 60s and 70s that were remastered in the 2000+. There is a distinctly different sound in most. Often it seem that the newer ones have a boosted treble range. Some are quieter, but many are noisier. It has a great deal to do with the sound engineers doing the remastering. I suspect some of the "boosted" treble is done to make them sound more digital. Ironically CDs released at the time of the original music from the earlier years often sounds more like the original than the newer remastered LPs do. Naturally there are exceptions. Another issue relating to a lot of vinyl is the quality of the vinyl itself. LPs before say 1970 were made on high quality vinyl. Then followed a period through about 2010 that thinner and poorer quality vinyl was used. This translated in noisier playback and sometimes distortion. More recent LPs are being made on good stuff again. Some now is actually better than the early ones.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Buying Music With Cryptocurrency
Next Topic: if I lived in New Zealand I would have my stuff repaired
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Aug 10 12:46:28 CDT 2022

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers