Home » Audio » General » Remastered Music
Remastered Music [message #95099] Fri, 21 January 2022 09:14 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Has anyone here actually noticed an audible difference between remastered music and the original?

It seems that some artists like to remaster their stuff every 5 years or so, reformat the songs and resell the same old same old.

I can't notice a difference in quality.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95101 is a reply to message #95099] Fri, 21 January 2022 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I think you're right. A marketing ploy.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95106 is a reply to message #95101] Sat, 22 January 2022 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Sometimes I think it sounds richer, but maybe that's just because I expect it to sound better. I'm not beyond a clever a marketing gimmick.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95109 is a reply to message #95101] Sun, 23 January 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Rusty wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 10:05
I think you're right. A marketing ploy.
Marketing ploy or not, I get 90% of my music off You Tube, so.........market away. They don't influence me.

Gullible is too harsh a word, so let's say the marketing works on people who don't know what to believe yet.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95395 is a reply to message #95099] Thu, 17 March 2022 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
Maybe there will be a change in the music if they use different equipment from their earlier recordings. Probably less noise and a few changes in tunes, but that's about that. Fans are the ones who would buy into this.
Re: Remastered Music [message #95400 is a reply to message #95395] Thu, 17 March 2022 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
As a vinyl lover...yes there can be a significant difference. I have several original LPs from the 60s and 70s that were remastered in the 2000+. There is a distinctly different sound in most. Often it seem that the newer ones have a boosted treble range. Some are quieter, but many are noisier. It has a great deal to do with the sound engineers doing the remastering. I suspect some of the "boosted" treble is done to make them sound more digital. Ironically CDs released at the time of the original music from the earlier years often sounds more like the original than the newer remastered LPs do. Naturally there are exceptions. Another issue relating to a lot of vinyl is the quality of the vinyl itself. LPs before say 1970 were made on high quality vinyl. Then followed a period through about 2010 that thinner and poorer quality vinyl was used. This translated in noisier playback and sometimes distortion. More recent LPs are being made on good stuff again. Some now is actually better than the early ones.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Remastered Music [message #96063 is a reply to message #95099] Tue, 11 October 2022 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justinn09 is currently offline  Justinn09
Esquire
May be a marketing ploy
Re: Remastered Music [message #96084 is a reply to message #95099] Sun, 16 October 2022 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Some remasters can be great, and others horrible. It can depend on what is trying to be done.
Some can be a gimmick for folks who automatically think it means its "better".

Many of the remasters that were done in the 2000's were meant to keep up with the "loudness war" This is generally "dynamic range compression"
It makes the same piece of music sound a little louder (perceived as better) at the same volume knob setting. Lots of this was done for listening to car radio.

There are some MJ hit albums that were remastered around 4 times in a 10 year period (approx) to increase loudness.
Each remaster was "squashed" more than the one before, incrementally increasing overall loudness while sacrificing dynamic range.
On a nice home stereo (especially turned up) these usually sound awful compared to the original mix

There are some good ones too. Jazz music is usually geared towards stellar recordings/mixing and/or remastering.

I have the "jarreau" album both original and then remastered in the mid 2000's, and the remastered sounds a bit better to me, but not necessarily louder.
The "George Benson Al Jarreau" album is by far the best sounding mix/recording on my home system, but would likely be very "quiet or thin" sounding on a scrappy stock car stereo system, whose speakers are usually nothing more than glorified mid ranges drivers.

YMMV
Re: Remastered Music [message #96087 is a reply to message #96084] Mon, 17 October 2022 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi. Yes it is a bit of a crap shoot. Some better some not. I got one Super Audio CD that is clearly better than the originals. It is "the Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals" by Analogue Productions. LPs are also available but I didn't get them. They didn't alter the sound any but did a little cleaning up of obvious noise. Especially in the lowest bass range. Considering that some of the tracks are over 50 years old they did a great job. I had to wait for several months to get the disks and they were a bit costly but IMO worth it. I would be curious to hear how the LPs sound. The Julie London tracks are stunning. If you like female vocals this is one to check out. Be sure you have a machine that can play it. Not all will do SACDs. There may be a non-SACD version but I am not aware of it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Remastered Music [message #96093 is a reply to message #96087] Tue, 18 October 2022 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I remember back in the 1980s, buying some of the "half speed master" albums because they were soooo much better. They really were. Wasn't just hype. The disks were night and day better. I thought then - and still do - that it was as much a result of a slight remix as it was the rest of the production process. But they were definitely worth it.

A few examples are Pink Floyd "Dark side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" and also the Fleetwood Mac (floating ball) and "Rumours" albums. The Mobile Fidelity pressings of those are awesome.

Not sure about the modern remix vinyl versions of those particular albums - they may be great too - or maybe not. Haven't tried 'em.

I will say though that I've been pleased with every 180g modern pressing I've purchased, and I've bought a lot of 'em. They're not necessarily remixes though. Just new vinyl. Different subject.

Back to remixes - I must add that I think there are probably a lot of disks made today that are sold as remixes that aren't really all that much better, if at all. I've heard a few remixes on CD that I could not tell a difference, and some that I think are worse than the original offerings. Seems like it has always been CDs labeled "remix" that were underwhelming, but that may or may not be the case.
Previous Topic: Not Able To Extract Audio From Video
Next Topic: Happy Halloween!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:30:08 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout