Home » Audio » Source » Home Built Table Extrodinaire
Home Built Table Extrodinaire [message #13041] Wed, 09 August 2006 16:47 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
This guy has designed a home-made table that uses the intake valve from a Harley Davidson Shovlehead engine the matching valve guide and a titanium ball bearing as a main bearing. Wait; it gets better. But let me provide the link.

That's pretty cool! [message #13042 is a reply to message #13041] Thu, 10 August 2006 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like it a lot. The first couple of pictures look interesting but kind of hackish. But then as I went through what he did, I realized he thought it through and it is actually very precise. Cool!

Re: That's pretty cool! [message #13043 is a reply to message #13042] Thu, 10 August 2006 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes; it isn't art; but he makes it clear he is experimenting as he goes along. There is some controversey regarding the Valve guides. Evidently they are designed to expand with heat and form a tight seal; something that won't happen on a turntable. I say VPI sells their bearing for a very fair price; use that.

Re: That's pretty cool! [message #13044 is a reply to message #13043] Thu, 10 August 2006 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The clearance between a new Harley valve and valve guide is about 0.0015". Older Harleys required more clearance but they were still pretty tight. The clearance is there to allow for oil film and not for expansion. Metals do expand from heat, so there is a tiny expansion, but the main reason for the clearance is that there be room for oil film.

Valve guides are designed to dissipate the heat from valve friction into the head. The best head designs have a large surface area contact between the valve guide and head so that heat transfer is good. Old Harleys are an example of a bad design, there wasn't enough surface area so their valve guides got too hot. New ones like used in the Evolution are better; They figured it out.

The thing is, you can't make a valve guide larger hoping to account for heat expansion. If the valve chatters inside the guide, it will make it hotter than if the fit were closer. Ideally, you want the valve to ride on a film of oil and have basically zero clearance beyond what it takes to provide for the oil. So if you have a valve guide that gets hot enough to expand appreciably, then it has too much clearance and will get hot from chattering.

Long story short - A new valve fits nicely into a new valve guide with very little clearance. After you apply a thin film of oil, there is zero clearance.

Re: That's pretty cool! [message #13045 is a reply to message #13044] Thu, 10 August 2006 17:46 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well; that clears that discussion up. Looks like a go ahead on the table experiment.

Previous Topic: New High End Music Server
Next Topic: Best way of playing web downloads?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 04 10:59:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio