Home » Audio » Measurement » Measuring through earbuds
Measuring through earbuds [message #94990] Thu, 23 December 2021 19:34 Go to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
How can you measure how loud noise is when it is coming through earbuds? I'm afraid that even though the music isn't at full blast, it's too loud for my children. I want a way to measure it.
Re: Measuring through earbuds [message #95013 is a reply to message #94990] Thu, 30 December 2021 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
You can measure the loudness with a decibel meter. They're fairly inexpensive to acquire on Amazon. However, a quick trick is to hold the earbuds at arm's length with their music playing as usual. If you can still easily hear the music, then you know it's too loud for them.
Re: Measuring through earbuds [message #95151 is a reply to message #94990] Sun, 30 January 2022 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I only use buds for softer music, podcasts, etc..... Since they are in my ear and that close to the drum, I don't want to damage anything and I don't want to totally drown out the outside noises.
Re: Measuring through earbuds [message #95309 is a reply to message #95013] Sat, 26 February 2022 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
LCallan wrote on Thu, 30 December 2021 18:33
You can measure the loudness with a decibel meter.

Do they make decibel meters with "ports" in them that look like ear openings to put the buds into? That would be a very accurate way of doing it.

If not, maybe they should. And maybe I just invented something.

(Saving post for proof of idea)
Re: Measuring through earbuds [message #95478 is a reply to message #94990] Mon, 04 April 2022 08:46 Go to previous message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
Usually, there would be a warning that would pop on your screen when the volume is too loud. You can use that, in general, as the minimum level, then decrease the sound from that if you think it's still too much.
Previous Topic: Your go-to
Next Topic: Crossover optimization for DI-matched two-way speakers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:08:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout