Home » Audio » Radio » Fave radio personalities from long ago?
Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #94890] Fri, 10 December 2021 19:07 Go to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I don't listen to the radio much anymore, but I used to be into Danny Bonaduce and Dennis Miller as radio personalities back in the 90s. Both were very funny. You?
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #94892 is a reply to message #94890] Fri, 10 December 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
What's radio...a new kind of internet? Laughing Laughing

Would you believe Cousin Brucie on WABC New York 770 on the dial.

It kind of dates me as that was back in the 60s and 70s.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #94898 is a reply to message #94890] Sat, 11 December 2021 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
I'm one of the dreaded millennials, but I still love Casey Kasem. I've heard some of his old shows, and he had personality for days.

Gofar99, Cousin Brucie was quite popular on SiriusXM for a number of years. I'm not sure if he finally retired, but I haven't heard him in a while. He has a good voice.
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #94899 is a reply to message #94898] Sat, 11 December 2021 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Millennials are awesome! All generations are awesome! It's interesting to me to watch the styles and trends slowly change. Most things stay the same throughout time, but personality trends and style choices subtly change.

And now that I think about it, that shows through the celebrities, both on-screen and radio.
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #94903 is a reply to message #94899] Sat, 11 December 2021 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Philly radio had several fine radio personalities.

"King" George Michael who later became famous for hosting TV sports programs.

"Dr" Donald D. Rose was a force of nature at WFIL in Philly then left for KFRC in San Francisco where he was also a force of nature.

Many others, too. Dick Clark started as a DJ there in the early 1950's. WFIL rivaled the big powerhouse stations in NYC and beat them out for awards often enough to be embarrassing.

Great old school radio.
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #94925 is a reply to message #94903] Wed, 15 December 2021 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The late 60's and early 70's was a late night "head music" for stoners and the curious and kooky. Clyde Clifford and his Beaker St. show on KAAY Little Rock Arkansas. Like, underground counterculture man... Far out and groovy.
Clyde did it up like a true hippie guru. The trippin DJ.
Check him out.

https://archive.org/details/KaayBeakerStreetClydeCliffordJune11972

Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #94926 is a reply to message #94925] Wed, 15 December 2021 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Strum Drum wrote on Fri, 10 December 2021 19:07
I don't listen to the radio much anymore, but I used to be into Danny Bonaduce and Dennis Miller as radio personalities back in the 90s.

Danny Bonaduce, wow, I remember seeing him in the Partridge Family way back when. He seems like an interesting guy, and while I think sometimes life is hard on child actors, he seems to have weathered through the challenges of growing into adulthood in the spotlight, and then transitioned into someone even more interesting.

Dennis Miller is awesome. I consider him to be pretty modern though, not somebody from the Wayback Machine. And he's really a talk radio guy - which I suppose wasn't specified - but I thought we were looking at "disk jockey's" only, guys and gals spinning music.

So as for DJs from the past, we sure can't forget Wolfman Jack. Gotta have a mention of him in this thread.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2921&private=0
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #95298 is a reply to message #94890] Thu, 24 February 2022 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
WLS AM in Chicago had some good ones back in the 70's. I can't remember the names, but their personalities stood out.

I do remember Johny Fever though. He was the best. lol (You never said anything about fictional DJ's)
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #95300 is a reply to message #95298] Thu, 24 February 2022 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Evidently Howard Hesseman worked as a DJ for a bit in the real world before being cast as Dr. Johnny Fever.

Wonder if in his real gig he ever used the word "booger".
Re: Fave radio personalities from long ago? [message #96379 is a reply to message #94890] Wed, 15 February 2023 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
noodle is currently offline  noodle
Viscount
I saw the Weird Al movie and was reminded of Dr. Demento! I don't remember a lot of his programming, but I was reminded that I heard "Another One Rides the Bus" on the show.
Previous Topic: Vlissingen 1485 AM
Next Topic: Bring The Old Into The New
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:43:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout