Home » Audio » General » Anyone snag a good AV deal?
Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #94848] Sat, 27 November 2021 21:22 Go to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
I trolled around for good AV deals on Black Friday, but I came away empty-handed. It feels like prices have gone up. Does AV gear go on sale at a different time of the year? Is this a supply chain issue, and I'm unlikely to find anything for a while? I want to upgrade my speakers, but even last year's models were pricey.
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #94851 is a reply to message #94848] Tue, 30 November 2021 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
No, but I wasn't out looking for one either. I heard there were some cheap 4K TVs up for grabs, though. You can usually find some good speakers at a decent price. Just keep looking. Maybe try a pawn shop. You'd be surprised at what you can find there.
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #94854 is a reply to message #94851] Wed, 01 December 2021 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have never snagged anything on Black Friday or cyber Monday or any other of the "days", but lots of things at a local thrift shop. Several sets of high quality vintage speakers, three amps, and three turntables come to mind. Getting a Marantz 2265B for $80US in perfect shape is one. A pair of Altec Lansing Magnificent cabinets for $70 in perfect shape is another. It did take about $600 more to get the right drivers for them though. They are my main system ones now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #94859 is a reply to message #94848] Sun, 05 December 2021 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
This is more than likely a supply chain issue. I think they raise the prices on certain goods in the hopes they will stay on the shelves longer than if they were more reasonably priced.

So you may have no choice but to pay more if you really want it.
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #94870 is a reply to message #94848] Tue, 07 December 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yeah, Concorde, you're probably right about that. I feel for all the parents who are looking for a PS5 for their kid's Christmas present this year. I have yet to see them on the shelves.

Strum Drum and gofar99, I'll have to check into the pawn shops and thrift stores. I know that my local Goodwill doesn't have anything nice, but maybe the next town over will. They are a bit fancier in general.
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #94922 is a reply to message #94870] Wed, 15 December 2021 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
LCallan wrote on Tue, 07 December 2021 16:50
I feel for all the parents who are looking for a PS5 for their kid's Christmas present this year. I have yet to see them on the shelves.
There is a radio personality where I live who recounted her own story about this on-air a few weeks back. She ordered one of those Playstations for her son back in 2020, and it took 11 months for it to arrive.

It's almost as if you need to do what you can in brick and mortars this year, and shop online for 2022 Christmas gifts.
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #95006 is a reply to message #94848] Mon, 27 December 2021 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
Honestly I think that stores sell items that are second-rate on these days. I have never really found anything that was newer or great. Prices on everything is going up right now.
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #95011 is a reply to message #94848] Mon, 27 December 2021 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
Check craigslist in your city for bargains. A Yamaha NS-1000M speaker sold for $850.
Re: Anyone snag a good AV deal? [message #95055 is a reply to message #95011] Thu, 06 January 2022 18:39 Go to previous message
Baron
That's a good tip, smartt. I hadn't thought to check on Craigslist. I'll do that. I've been looking on Facebook Marketplace, but so far I've mostly seen stuff for kids. Craigslist might be better. Thanks!
Previous Topic: Really Tweaking The EQ.
Next Topic: Music In Therapy
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:14:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout