Home » Audio » General » That Tree In The Forest
That Tree In The Forest [message #94816] Sat, 13 November 2021 16:04 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The age-old question is: If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

I always answered yes but I never knew why. I just assumed. It turns out though that sound is made when air molecules bump up against each other over and over again, causing a vibration that our eardrums and brain translate into, and call, sound.

What part of the audio world have you been right about, but then later learned why you were right about it?
Re: That Tree In The Forest [message #94817 is a reply to message #94816] Sat, 13 November 2021 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Pi speakers and Transcendent Sound amp's, preamps. It went from a hunch, to building them , then listening to them. Together a satisfying experience. My hunch was right.
Re: That Tree In The Forest [message #94852 is a reply to message #94817] Tue, 30 November 2021 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
That turntable amps and guitar amps aren't interchangeable. All Preamps aren't interchangeable, period. I wish they were, though, as it would make everything simpler.
Re: That Tree In The Forest [message #94860 is a reply to message #94816] Sun, 05 December 2021 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
That copper wire produces better sound. That didn't really sit right with me, so I looked into it. Under certain conditions it conducts better, but the difference in the quality of the audio is negligible at best.
Re: That Tree In The Forest [message #94923 is a reply to message #94816] Wed, 15 December 2021 10:44 Go to previous message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
When I was in my teens, common sense told me that maintaining your equipment meant a longer life for it and everything else involved with it. Like cassette tapes. It took two times of the tape getting tangled up in the mechanisms for me to break out the cleaning supplies.

I know that's AV 101, but when you're young it takes mistakes for you to learn why things are what they are.
Previous Topic: TikTok collecting biometric data
Next Topic: Really Tweaking The EQ.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 16:34:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout