Home » Audio » Home Theater » Home Theater for the Outdoors
Home Theater for the Outdoors [message #94737] Thu, 04 November 2021 03:49 Go to next message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
The idea won't apply to every home because this would require additional space, such as a backyard or a lawn. Concerning the expenses, will there be a big difference between the equipment used for the outdoors and indoors? Setting anything outside feels like it's more work. I might be wrong, though. I'm interested to know if anyone here has attempted to set up an outdoor home theater before.
Re: Home Theater for the Outdoors [message #94746 is a reply to message #94737] Sat, 06 November 2021 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wouldn't those projector and screen combos work? Kind of like in the dim past of movie projectors. People would take them outside and put up a white sheet to project onto it. Home made drive in theater. Old reel projectors had a resurgence for awhile and some enterprising tricksters would rig up a way to power them, projecting old burlesque movie shorts on urban buildings just for kicks. The spitfire from Poughkeepsie, hubba hubba.
Re: Home Theater for the Outdoors [message #94908 is a reply to message #94746] Sun, 12 December 2021 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
You can definitely create a setup for very little money, and that's the way I'd go. From what I've seen, even the most expensive outdoor setups aren't that outstanding. You're dealing with the outdoors and there's a lot that's going to be out of your control. The kids will probably love it anyway.
Re: Home Theater for the Outdoors [message #94911 is a reply to message #94908] Tue, 14 December 2021 09:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Actually, outdoors, one thing in your benefit is there are no room modes. And if your setup is far enough away from buildings, then there are no early reflections. That's a significant advantage, acoustically. Of course, you'll probably need more power because space is not constrained. But that's not too difficult to provide.

Seems to me the biggest issues are the elements to deal with, like the weather, insects, etc. I assume the goal would be limited to night viewing. Might have noise problems, either from outside interfering with your viewers or from your system disturbing neighbors or violating local restrictions in some way. So I think the biggest issues aren't technical audio or video matters, but rather they are problems of regulation, interference, convenience and level of comfort.
Previous Topic: Movie Collection
Next Topic: Whistling noise?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:12:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout