Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Dune
Dune [message #94711] Fri, 29 October 2021 11:05 Go to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kelly and I went to see Dune this weekend with some friends. One of the friends was an avid Dune fan, having read all the books. Kelly had seen the 1984 version of the movie and was familiar with the characters and the plot. The others were like me, unfamiliar with the story. So we had a mix of expectations.

I must admit that I tried to watch the 1984 movie when it came out, and it was just too cheesy for me. Too slow-paced too. It was like watching a black-and-white "Flash Gordon" in slow motion. So I probably only saw a few minutes of the film and could only tell you it was set on a desert planet.

So for me, the bar was set pretty low and I expected the modern movie would probably be much better.

Now having explained the mental environment I had going into the movie, I must say I was more than pleasantly surprised by the movie. I thought it was fantastic, and I am now a huge Dune fan. Can't wait to see the sequel, and I hope the studios expand upon it to cover all the various plot spin-offs I'm told are in the books.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2903&private=0
  • Attachment: Dune_2021.jpg
    (Size: 112.11KB, Downloaded 267 times)
Re: Dune [message #94715 is a reply to message #94711] Fri, 29 October 2021 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I've read Dune, the first novel. I thought the 84 David Lynch movie followed rather well the contents of the book. And even though the special effects of the time are dated now, they holdup next to the oddly baroque and steam punk looking spacecraft and interior sets used to describe different worlds clashing to control the spice. Lynch's avant-guarde approach is always controversial, putting off many. Not me. Just the same, I ought to catch this remake to compare.
Kenneth McMillan's Barron Harkonnen for me is unsurpassed.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/McMillan_as_Harkonnen.jpg
Just another pretty face.
Re: Dune [message #94734 is a reply to message #94711] Mon, 01 November 2021 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I keep seeing previews for the movie but honestly hadn't ever heard of it before. I'm more of a "read the book first" person. I thought that maybe I would be lost by watching the new movie first. After reading this, it seems that I would not be lost. Thanks!!
Re: Dune [message #94735 is a reply to message #94711] Tue, 02 November 2021 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I began watching it on HBO max until I fell asleep after about 1/4.
I hate when I do that, I must try not to start watching too late.

I liked what i saw though, ill have to start over and see it through.

I liked the original as well even with all its cheesiness....
but Ive always been a real fanatic of sci-fi......it has to be more than terrible for me not to enjoy it
Re: Dune Two [message #97480 is a reply to message #94711] Mon, 04 March 2024 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Kelly and I went to see Dune Two yesterday with my son Eddie and a friend named Doug.
I won't give any spoilers, but I will tell you that the movie clearly relates what is a fairly complicated set of relationships, and that's not always easy. I think that is what made past movie attempts difficult. The audience sometimes couldn't follow all the details, and the plot became murky. Not this time.

Doug is an avid Dune fan, having read the books. He tells me that the movie is true to the book, in as much as it relayed the story faithfully. He told me it did glaze over a few details, but he felt it did so appropriately - keeping enough to maintain the story and only dropping details that might have made things murky when portrayed in a movie format.

We all loved it!

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3402&private=0
  • Attachment: dune-two.jpg
    (Size: 112.60KB, Downloaded 58 times)
Re: Dune Two [message #97481 is a reply to message #94711] Mon, 04 March 2024 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
My son saw it yesterday and loved it.
Said it was one of the best movies he's ever seen...he's only 21 yrs old though lol
Re: Dune [message #97541 is a reply to message #94711] Tue, 19 March 2024 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Wayne, I'm curious.
You didn't comment on the sound. Was there anything remarkable about the overall acoustic experience?
Was it an IMAX theater? About where in the theater was your family seated?
Did you notice any surround effects?
Re: Dune [message #97544 is a reply to message #97541] Tue, 19 March 2024 19:51 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I rarely comment on sound in theaters 'cause it's so venue-specific. Some theaters are pretty bad, but that's not the fault of the producers of the movie. Most tend to be decent, some are even pretty good but none are as good as what I'm used to. So I don't usually comment on sound.

Having said all that, the theaters I tend to go to use Klipsch speakers throughout, so they're pretty good. The Dune film used the surrounds to good effect, and I think they did a pretty good job of making the audio work with the video in a way that made you feel like you were there. That's the goal to me, so they hit the mark.
Previous Topic: Bill Evans: Japanese edition of 'Paris Concert Two' (1981)
Next Topic: Oscars 2024
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:49:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout