Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Good starter?
Good starter? [message #94702] Thu, 28 October 2021 15:38 Go to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
I've been upgrading my setup little by little, but I'm not confident about buying a tube amp. What's a good starter amp? Is there a certain amount that I should expect to spend, because paying is likely means problems down the road?
Re: Good starter? [message #94703 is a reply to message #94702] Thu, 28 October 2021 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do you want to build a kit or buy outright?

Either way, you might check into offerings from Audio Note and OddWatt Audio. Those are two brands I have experience with that are awesome, both in kit form and fully assembled. Other people may give you more suggestions too.

Re: Good starter? [message #94704 is a reply to message #94703] Thu, 28 October 2021 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You might consider also if your speakers are compatible with using tube gear. Impedance and sensitivity can be a big factor. Tube amplifiers usually need higher impedance of at least 8 ohms. And some tube amps are low in power.
Re: Good starter? [message #94722 is a reply to message #94704] Sat, 30 October 2021 21:57 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, many tube amps have multiple output impedance connections. All my designs have at least 4 and 8 ohms and some 16 ohms as well. They often tend to have fewer watts for the dollar compared to solid state ones, but then loudness is logarithmic and not linear when related to power. Twice the power is no where near twice the loudness. I would suggest getting the speakers first then figuring out what amp to go for.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Western Electric 80th anniversary "300B" tube
Next Topic: ECC 82 recommendation | Telefunken vs Mazda Belvu
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:49:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers