Home » Audio » Speaker » Your Take on Smart Speakers?
Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94668] Sun, 24 October 2021 05:03 Go to next message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
People like it for its convenience because it allows you to multi-task. It has many features, and having it connected to the wifi is only one of them. Not everyone bothers to have this, however, since they don't find it necessary. Voice command also doesn't work at certain times, which could make the convenient part annoying instead. Do you think this is a must-buy product?
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94677 is a reply to message #94668] Sun, 24 October 2021 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'll be the killjoy curmudgeon here, just because I really don't think they're a must buy thing. But I'm sort of a traditionalist. And I don't feel the need to speak at my audio gear. I don't even mind manually turning up or down volume settings.
The thing I have disdain for with smart devices is their connection to internet commerce. But if people just like it's built in convenience for casual listening, I can see their use. I still use a turntable so, now you get an idea how primitive my mindset is.
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94681 is a reply to message #94677] Sun, 24 October 2021 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
+1 Rusty

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94712 is a reply to message #94681] Fri, 29 October 2021 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think the choice is going the way of the dinosaur. It's getting to where it's incredibly difficult to find a modern television that doesn't have smart capabilities. In my opinion, it won't be long before all speakers are smart speakers.
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94738 is a reply to message #94712] Thu, 04 November 2021 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LCallan is currently offline  LCallan
Baron
Yeah, even the high-end brands that were previously focused on the audio experience are getting in on the smart speaker trend. I'm with Leo. I doubt it will be avoidable for much longer. You can usually turn the feature off at least.

Rusty, good on you for not being lazy. I think that's the appeal for many of us. We just speak at it, and it does our bidding.
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94790 is a reply to message #94668] Fri, 12 November 2021 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I don't have one yet but I was planning on buying into it. I also think that soon all speakers will be Smart. I'm not opposed to trying them out. I have no issue getting up and turning the volume up or down.
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94791 is a reply to message #94668] Fri, 12 November 2021 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
I've got an Echo Dot with Alexa. I admit that I love to tell her what to play and turn up and down. I don't have anything else though. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want any other Smart speaker.
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94932 is a reply to message #94668] Thu, 16 December 2021 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
I think most people buy them just to keep up with the Joneses. Bragging rights and such. Nothing I see in product descriptions indicates that this is must-have technology within this certain product that will make the listening experience through the speaker higher quality.

I'll pass.
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94957 is a reply to message #94677] Sat, 18 December 2021 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rusty wrote on Sun, 24 October 2021 09:18

The thing I have disdain for with smart devices is their connection to internet commerce.
If someone gifts me one for Christmas, I'll play the most random music in every genre just to mess with their algorithm so they will have no idea what to market to me.

Confuse them so badly, they'll just give on me. LOL
Re: Your Take on Smart Speakers? [message #94968 is a reply to message #94957] Sat, 18 December 2021 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'm not inclined to give them an inkling of a chance. They'd figure it out. Probably spewing out even more marketing than ever. They got more bait than a New Orleans brothel.
Previous Topic: Sonos speakers
Next Topic: 2 channel reinforcement subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:00:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout