Home » Audio » Radio » Digital Streaming Radios
Re: Digital Streaming Radios [message #94560 is a reply to message #94559] Mon, 04 October 2021 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Does that include cell phones? I wonder because I have one that I find out is incompatible with seemingly any plan. I'm truly primitive with communication technology. I'd let my pre pay plan lapse before the pandemic and have never bothered hooking into another plan until recently. Story short, a perfectly good, (I guess) phone from 2012 is now useless. And I don't need or want use of data. I'll end up getting a geezer flip phone of some kind. But this struck me as a planned obsolescence type of engineering.
Re: Digital Streaming Radios [message #94561 is a reply to message #94560] Mon, 04 October 2021 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, yeah, cell phones are my number one complaint. A close second is VoIP. Both are awesome technologies, and I enjoy a lot of the new features that have been driven by each of those platforms. But I absolutely hate their reliability and can't believe their lack of hardness. By hardness, I mean the ability to work in all situations. Cell phones and VoIP are both way down on the reliability scale compared to phones of fifty years ago. We've gone backwards in terms of reliability.
Re: Digital Streaming Radios [message #94563 is a reply to message #94561] Mon, 04 October 2021 17:29 Go to previous message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yeah Wayne. I'll implicate my age. It's a cliché that is well worn. But as I've gotten older, I seemingly crave simpler ways. Less things. Archaic ways over the opposite. With the woodworking that I still do some of. I like using hand tools over power tools. And technology that I once felt would alleviate drudgery and foster new and exciting opportunities, seems to come with it's equal down side. It might be the way it's utilized, such as for profit or efficiency. Going to Home Depot today I griped with a fellow customer about the self checking that's replaced people. It takes longer to get out of there than it was prior. Yup an old rotary dial phone seems not so much quaint, but as you point out. Reliable and no fuss. Especially those old heavy ones. That went roooup going away and awrrrrrrr coming back. I wouldn't mind to have a working one of those old beasts, sitting on it's very own pedestal. Alas I have VOIP, (hello, hello, you still there?). I know you love those old radios though. And you've got some dandy's. Working still.
Previous Topic: Discovered any new podcasts?
Next Topic: Ever win anything?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:40:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout