Home » Audio » Radio » Radio's Popularity
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94740 is a reply to message #94455] Fri, 05 November 2021 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My outlook is rosy. I fully intend to buy an older model radio within the next month and a half. I'm also going to buy a rotary phone.

I just like the sound a radio puts out.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94741 is a reply to message #94740] Fri, 05 November 2021 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You'll be shocked how much it costs to buy a rotary phone. Shocked
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94747 is a reply to message #94455] Sat, 06 November 2021 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Even at a Goodwill type store? Sad

Regardless, I'll be trying places like FB Marketplace, yard sales and the like.

In the meantime though, a radio is on the top of the list.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94748 is a reply to message #94747] Sat, 06 November 2021 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I took a gander at ebay vintage rotary phones. Yes they're a bit pricey. Some being just the latter end of the Ma Bell era. So, not too vintage. I noticed Soviet phones seemed popular as well. You just know there are people out there that collect this stuff. I watched years back a human interest piece by the great Bill Geist, who always profiled the curious and the kooky. These were gents that were passionate for old washing machines. Really. They got together with their old Maytag's and Whirlpools to wash their duds. One of them mentioned he had a particular passion for the spin cycle. Ay Caramba!
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94750 is a reply to message #94748] Sat, 06 November 2021 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Not sure if it was Bill Geist who did the piece but Sunday Morning had a story years back about people who collect vacuum cleaners. It was a pretty good story even if it seemed odd going into it.

All very much in the spirit of Charles Kuralt, a man who could wander around the country in a Winnebago and find the most remarkable human interest stories.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94751 is a reply to message #94750] Sat, 06 November 2021 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Yes indeedy do Barry. Bill was like his predecessor Charles Kuralt, wonderful at rooting out real America. No movie star hype interviews like they do on 60 minutes. Here's old Bill doing his part for profiling those lovers of the lowly vacuum cleaner.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/from-the-archives-vacuum-cleaner-collectors-unite/
and the washing machine collectors of America, (world actually).
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/washing-machine-collectors-awash-with-enthusiasm-on-laundry-day/
His son Willy Geist is a fine journalist on Sunday mornings NBC.
These guys make us audio nuts seem like Gregorian monks.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94752 is a reply to message #94751] Sun, 07 November 2021 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
I recall both of those segments but it's hard to fathom that the one on vacuum cleaners was 19 years ago.

Still, the collectors of vacuums and washers makes it easier on those of us that only have several pair of speakers.

I think.

Roger Welsch, of Postcards From Nebraska fame, is still around at 85 years. He has a Facebook presence and writes an odd blurb or two every so often. He's still a great writer and funny as ever.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94753 is a reply to message #94752] Sun, 07 November 2021 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I remember that stocky dude now. Looking at his prolific publishing I see he has a thing for old tractors. One called Love, Sex & Tractors. Nice. As a toddler living in a small Kansas town of Ottawa, there was a tractor dealer on the main. My pappy would take me there on a Sunday so I could marvel at their rugged construction and bright paint jobs. Wished I could collect them like Roger Welsch.

Getting back on track with radio. If anyone has heard of Jean Shepherd. Author of Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories, (And Other Disasters). Radio and TV personality. The famous movie, Christmas Story was derived from his recalling tales of his Indiana youth. Funny, wonderful stuff.
From his WOR radio days.
Triangular Doughnut Machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFatX5USR88
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94762 is a reply to message #94753] Sun, 07 November 2021 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I used to listen to Jean. Often a real hoot. On AM radio when I lived back east.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94768 is a reply to message #94751] Wed, 10 November 2021 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rusty wrote on Sat, 06 November 2021 15:45
Here's old Bill doing his part for profiling those lovers of the lowly vacuum cleaner.
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/from-the-archives-vacuum-cleaner-collectors-unite/
I remember him now. Didn't remember the name, but once I saw him........That vacuum with the hair dryer attachment was amazing. I never knew they made something like that.

They need to update that idea and make it again. That is just too cool.
Previous Topic: Radio Hosts Making a Difference
Next Topic: Spoken Word Showing Gains
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:59:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout