Home » Audio » Radio » Radio's Popularity
Radio's Popularity [message #94455] Sun, 19 September 2021 07:49 Go to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
I thought that radios would gradually become a thing of the past. I was completely wrong! Many individuals still prefer to listen to radios, despite having other options, such as streaming music. It may be an old thing, but it's not necessarily outdated. What do you think would be the outlook for radios?
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94459 is a reply to message #94455] Sun, 19 September 2021 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't know this day & age. If commercial radio could have a format like some public or community radio. That is, playing a progressive mix of music that you never hear on commercial radio. I'd say it would be a breakthrough to the predictable radio that is too bland for my tastes. Back in the 70's there was such a thing. D.J.'s were given some freedom to create a mix of music that they wanted to showcase with the regular fare. It was really nice. But I'm not going to hold my breath for any such thing today. Elvis Costello wrote a good song then about commercial radio called Radio radio. In it he sang, "they anesthetize the way that you feel". Still true.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94469 is a reply to message #94455] Mon, 20 September 2021 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zart is currently offline  Zart
Baron
People use what's convenient for them. I think the radio's accessibility makes them listen to it, while there's the comfort in not having to think about what song to play. The broadcasters might also be serving as a company.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94475 is a reply to message #94469] Tue, 21 September 2021 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
The telecommunications act of 1996 did a lot of damage to radio.

Here's a synopsis from the net:

"What did the Telecommunications Act of 1996 do?
The legislation eliminated a cap on nationwide station ownership and allowed an entity to own up to 4 stations in a single market. ... The Telecommunications Act was supposed to open the market to more and new radio station ownership; instead, it created an opportunity for a media monopoly."

After the act, big companies began buying up all the radio stations. The small, mom and pop local stations just completely vanished. Similar to what happened in the 70's as big companies bought up all the small, local newspapers. There was no longer a local voice.

The big companies now controlled all the major radio markets and could format the stations with proven, profitable programming. So the stations in all the markets were essentially the same even if that particular format wasn't really what the local market wanted. There weren't any small, independent stations left to fill the void anymore.

They also got rid of announcers because they claimed surveys had shown people didn't like the talk. It's more likely they figured out how much cheaper it would be to eliminate all those jobs.

Then they started expanding the number of minutes of commercials played every hour.

That radio became irrelevant was caused by the big companies. They shot themselves in the foot as they homogenized the industry. It also didn't help that the Internet and streaming was catching on. The internet offered better music selection and little or no commercials.

At this point, at least in my neck of the woods, the only radio worth listening to are the big college stations out of Philly. They play jazz, classical and other non-commercial feeds. The commercial stations are, to put it mildly, garbage.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94476 is a reply to message #94475] Tue, 21 September 2021 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bravo Barry. You summed up perfectly the main reason for radio's ruination. All these legislative initiatives are a part of the Neoliberal financial grab in our economy. Touted as being a stimulus for the free market. It is, for the deep pocketed investor. At the expense of the public and the variety of programming available. Monopolization has made our economy weak and expensive for the majority. Same going on with all telecommunications. Inevitable consolidation and monopolization to feed the insatiable need for corporate capture of competition.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94484 is a reply to message #94476] Wed, 22 September 2021 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The implication here is that the 1% that control much of the finances of the country and indeed the world are all neoliberals. My sense is that this is a deficient concept. The premise of what happened to many stations is likely valid though. Consolidation of any industry has typically been based on "cost savings" that may or probably not be passed on to the consumers. Farming is a great example of consolidation that has had very mixed benefits to us. Less variety, more issues with spread of food borne illness and supply chain issues.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94489 is a reply to message #94475] Thu, 23 September 2021 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
Barryso wrote on Tue, 21 September 2021 08:12

The big companies now controlled all the major radio markets and could format the stations with proven, profitable programming. So the stations in all the markets were essentially the same even if that particular format wasn't really what the local market wanted. There weren't any small, independent stations left to fill the void anymore.
Then they started expanding the number of minutes of commercials played every hour.
Without local stations, there is no authenticity, and radio stations end up as money-driven instead of having an initiative. It's unfortunate, and I find it dehumanizing that commercials dominate the content. It only conditions people into paying more attention to certain brands.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94492 is a reply to message #94489] Thu, 23 September 2021 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:

gofar99
Hi, The implication here is that the 1% that control much of the finances of the country and indeed the world are all neoliberals. My sense is that this is a deficient concept.
Call it the top 10% if a number is useful. It depends on your ideologies. Neoliberalism is a generic label that encompasses other concepts but which call for small govt. influence in the markets, privatization and financialization replacing industrialization. Our peak industrial output in the 40's was in the 40% range. We're now at 9%. But there is very compelling evidence in the good work of non orthodox economists that based on historical and statistical evidence (that is meaningful), to draw their conclusions with the Neoliberal concept. Leading to our current issues with economic dysfunction, political influence and income disparity. The two examples you point to are part of many others. As far as our political/economic affiliation to Neoliberism goes. Essentially these economists say. We only have a one party system. Guess the dungeon is appropriate to go any further here if inclined.
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94497 is a reply to message #94492] Thu, 23 September 2021 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, indeed. We have gotten a bit OT and should allow folks if they want to comment on the main topic to do so. If there is sufficient interest, start something in the dungeon that is apolitical but of a nature that it won't offend our members. After all this is a site for audio enthusiasts. There are already many other sites for political commentary.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Radio's Popularity [message #94700 is a reply to message #94455] Wed, 27 October 2021 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I honestly hardly ever listen to the radio anymore. I listen to Sirius, Amazon Music, or other streaming services. I did just hear that my old favorite DJ was back on the local station so I might give him another shot.
Previous Topic: Radio Hosts Making a Difference
Next Topic: Spoken Word Showing Gains
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:52:01 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout