Home » Audio » General » When to recap?
When to recap? [message #94336] Tue, 31 August 2021 18:03 Go to next message
smartt is currently offline  smartt
Master
Please add to this.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/376487-recap.html
Re: When to recap? [message #94337 is a reply to message #94336] Tue, 31 August 2021 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Caps are more prone to age degradation than any other component, especially electrolytics. Actually, most other kinds of caps age well but electrolytics surely don't. So those must be replaced from time to time, especially if the equipment containing them is only rarely used.
Re: When to recap? [message #94338 is a reply to message #94337] Tue, 31 August 2021 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I tend to agree...but in all the time I have been using gear (mostly Marantz) or designing my own I have never had a cap go so far out of wack that I needed to replace it. I suspect it partly comes from having high quality gear and using only similar stuff in my designs. I am sure that budget caps are more likely to fail. A problem I have run into in some folks diy builds using tubes is to use 85C rated electrolytics. Only 105C ones ought to be used and they should be placed away from. heat sources. I get a chuckle out of a lot of vintage gear with "can" caps placed right next to power tubes. A guaranteed way to cause problems. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: When to recap? [message #94345 is a reply to message #94338] Wed, 01 September 2021 08:11 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

One situation where I see a high probability for the need of electrolytic capacitor replacement is the restoration of old tube radios. If I buy a tube radio at an estate sale or something, it is more likely to need power supply capacitors even than it needs tubes. Lots of 'em need both, but almost all need caps. They'll hum like they have no power supply filter at all - 'cause they really don't - the caps are bad. Swap 'em and it's quiet as a mouse. Well, not really. LOL Those old table radios always give a little gentle hum. Smile
Previous Topic: YouTube to Mp3
Next Topic: home depot Husky heavy duty steel shelving for your audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:25:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout