Home » Audio » Source » What happened with wire recorders?
What happened with wire recorders? [message #94278] Thu, 19 August 2021 13:02 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I've read a bit about them, and it seems like they're the most stable form of storage, so why aren't they more popular? It can't be blamed on the digital revolution because wire recorders fell out of fashion long before then. What happened? Was it just bad PR? I've been to many estate sales and garage sales to hunt one down. I can only find bits and pieces. It's just so odd because I have found three vintage radios in decent condition and countless sets of record albums, so what gives? I've found a few on eBay and will probably pick one up there. I'd still like to know why they're so hard to find.
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #94285 is a reply to message #94278] Thu, 19 August 2021 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
Wire recorders were mostly used by businesses, so you're unlikely to find one at an estate sale or similar. I don't think they were ever popular in personal homes - not like a turntable or cassette player. I'd look elsewhere.
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #94293 is a reply to message #94285] Fri, 20 August 2021 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There are a number of factors as to why they are not used. First the wire is expensive and unfortunately subject to breakage. Repairs are difficult. Second head wear is high. Third fidelity is rather limited. They were mostly used for dictation and similar functions and never were good enough for hi-fi so when alternatives came out like cassettes they just faded away. Cassettes have been replaced with digital storage now as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #94566 is a reply to message #94278] Tue, 05 October 2021 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
They are great conversation pieces when you want to invite other audiophiles over for dinner.

I'm a sucker for history, so I always look at things like this with a kind of reverence rather than "It's just antiquated history."
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #95084 is a reply to message #94566] Sat, 15 January 2022 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I learned about wire recorders from you guys. I've never heard anyone mention them in real life, and I've never run across a wire recorder in person. I'd love to see one up close. They seem nifty.
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #95253 is a reply to message #94278] Thu, 17 February 2022 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Concorde is currently offline  Concorde
Master
Someone at some point said: This is a hassle. There has to be a better way."

They say necessity is the mother of invention, but if someone can think of an easier way of doing something they'll work to make it happen.
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #95266 is a reply to message #94278] Sun, 20 February 2022 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
I think they need to make a comeback solely for a niche purpose: To help better protect copyrighted material. Make the wire the first place a person stores a work of art. Time-stamped, of course.

Who's gonna steal that?

It's the perfect place, really.
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #95274 is a reply to message #95266] Sun, 20 February 2022 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, If you do some checking on this ...you will see that the bandwidth and signal to noise are really horrible and unsuitable for this use.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: What happened with wire recorders? [message #95355 is a reply to message #94278] Tue, 08 March 2022 22:55 Go to previous message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Yeah, that is a shame because Silver had a good point. If you want to protect something valuable, put it in the last place anyone would look.
Previous Topic: Wide Spread RIAA Phono Stage Inaccuracies by Manufacturers
Next Topic: What is the most important part of record playing?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:41:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio